Headphones that pick up FM transmitted stations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new, but I need some advice. I've been searching for wireless headphones that will pick up FM stations (including ones from a transmitter). I've bought two headphones so far and returned them because they picked up FM but only the actual local radio stations, not the transmitter station. I know the transmitter is working because I can pick up the station in my car almost a mile away, but can't pick it up with the headphones outside my door. :(

The goal I'm trying to accomplish is to get a set of headphones that my family can all tune into the same station when we go running so that we can use the same running apps or listen to the same audio book etc. Trying to keep the headphones around $100 or less each if possible.

Thank you for any advice!

Presumably any kind of receiver built into headphones is not exactly top-notch, while a car radio will usually be pretty good in sensitivity, selectivity and strong-signal handling. Small FM transmitters usually have very low output power and not much of an antenna to speak of. The two combined = your problem.

I would try looking for a little pocket radio with actually decent performance and a headphone out, plus matching cans (PX-100 II, PortaPro, KSC-75, whatever). This thread lists a few options. I might give the CountyComm GP-5 a shot. FM tends to be pretty good in any of these little SiLabs based DSP sets, just AM may vary considerably (and this is where e.g. a CCRadio Pocket would fare better). The headphone cable tends to form a pretty decent antenna already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.