question re crossfeed for low imped phones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a crossfeed circuit for my ATH m50 headphones. Chu Moy explains a variation on the Linkwitz crossfeed design (low z version) that plugs directly into what he considers low impedance headphones (60 ohms). An Acoustic Simulator for Headphone Amplifiers | HeadWize
The m50's are listed at 38 ohms. Does anyone know if that is too low to work well with the Chu Moy design? If so, is there a way I could buffer the output of the circuit to make it work? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jazzzman

My question to you is what convinces you that you need cross feeding. You are reading non proven theories and subjective outcome that would change as the day grows longer. Firstly try to define what it is that you are lacking and what you think should be added that is not already there,

In the distant past we had a pot pan control that was used to widen or narrow down the channel separation infinitely to mono which was continually adjusted for every song that you want to listen to. So what do you want to do - then I will help achieve your goal.

you can try it out in sw - plugins with adjustable parameters exist for several PC media players and in RockBox for DAP

I would agree with JCX, before embarking on modifying your expensive headphone gear or fiddle inside your cans because someone said... use a plug-in and figure what it is all about.

I have been a headphone fan for many years and cross-feeding/mixing of channels at best should be a variable process and not fixed as no two recordings are alike. What if you are listening to an old mono recording what would it sound like with the junk you add to the signal line.

Worse still, there was a time at the very beginning of stereo when they actually recorded the vocals on one channel while the rest is on the other. In that case it is much better to listen to it in mono.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.