My new headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Here on of my newest project. It is a fully dual mono all discrete FET headphone amplifier in Class-A. Real Class-A at 100ma per supply, and channel. With supplies of +/-24V it is 9.6W in Class-A (200ma * 48V = 9.6W). It is cooking :devilr:

It sounds superb, perfectly silent with dual fully discrete low noise regulators with CRC pre-filters. The case was made by Front Panel Express, side wood panels in exotic Padouk wood with oil finish.

The circuit is DC coupled, we no coupling capacitor in the signal path. A servo takes care of the small circuit thermal drift.

Here the prototype pictures :D

Attachments

• All Fets Line Amp & Headphone_small.JPG
    All Fets Line Amp & Headphone_small.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 714
  • All Fets Regs_small.jpg
    All Fets Regs_small.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
And the completed amp. It is using great parts everywhere Furutech AC power inlet, Non-magnetic line noise filter (aka Ayre es filter), Low noise vibration decoupled dual toroid transformers, Philips/Vishay huge pre-filter caps, Wima, Nichicon KG/Muse, CDE and Vishay caps, Caddock MK132 and Vishay CMF55 film resistors, Noble volume pot, Canare power & Mogami audio cables, 6N single crystal copper hookup wires, Cardas and Amphenol connectors and the classic blue led power on indicator.

Even the bottom is nice, with vibration decoupling feet, laser trim ventilation holes and concealed power-on switch.

Attachments

• Inside_Top.JPG
    Inside_Top.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 670
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 649
  • Bottom.JPG
    Bottom.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
The power section is all assembled point-to-point. I did my own PCB. Ventilation holes can be seen on the back. You cannot see it but there is bitumen vibration absorbing pad under the top cover. Front and Back views. It is real statement amp, top of its class. Difficult to do better I guest...

Attachments

• Front_small.JPG
    Front_small.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Back_small.JPG
    Back_small.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Sorry no schematic. This is a design is copyright and I cannot disclose any details. This circuit can also be used as a preamp, single-ended or balanced. Indeed the supply can be lowered to +/-18V, but the regulator will then dissipate more heat. Input of the regulators are +/-31V. I may try that to lower the amp dissipation. It is a balance between amps and regs.

I built one of the greatest headphone amps ever four years ago and it is a match made in heaven for only the best headphones available. Here is a photograph of it open but unfortunately no schematic since it is also copyright. :xeye:

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 330
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.