Why are external amplifiers superior?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well for example iPad2 vs the older iPad. The new one has a few dB better performance (SNR, THD).

Of course an even older device is gonna be a bit worse in terms of numbers, but that is still way above to the kind of sound "quality" you get from a tuner.

All relatively new iDevices have flat frequency response, output impedance <5 Ω, roughly >105 dB SNR, 0.00x% THD (0.0x% when driving 32 ohm headphones at full output) etc.

As such, your opinion seems to be quite biased. Are you seriously comparing those devices to a tuner? I just cannot take that serious and have to seriously question anything you write...

Like I said, I am not up to snuff on ipods; or for that matter MP3 or MP4 files. I am merely relating my limited experience and I am trying to understand. I do know that digital files can vary greatly in sound quality because I have heard some MP4 files that exhibited stellar fidelity.

You can run a degraded signal through a solid gold wire with unobtanium connectors, and it will still be a degraded signal. I do know that on some ipods you can select different file formats that will fit more or less music on the device, with corresponding loss or gain of fidelity.

My "opinion" is merely my observations. My only experience with ipods is when I'm working on a customer's car and they ask me if they can plug their ipod into my shop sound system and I say "sure, go right ahead." Since we're all geeks about audio here (myself included) I am certain that many of us know exactly how to extract the best fidelity out of these devices. However, I do not belong to this demographic. I have asked a couple questions in this thread and I hope that somebody will answer them. So instead of bashing me, why don't you educate me? I thought that this site was about sharing ideas. I have always been forthright with my modest contributions to this site; and I will be the first to admit that I'm far from the smartest person here. I know what I know and I'm always trying to learn more. I have a whole lot to learn because I'm an analog guy from the wayback machine.

Oh no, no euphonic distortions :). 2 ohm output impedance, frequency response more flat, up to 8Vrms/32 ohm ;)

FFT measured distortion is at the limit of the soundcard, not the amplifier. Added after iphone it helps remarkably.

Attachments

• headph.png
    headph.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
@Fast Eddie: I'm sorry but your #11 post sounded like all cellphones are crap regarding audio. Many, especially cheap ones, may not have great sound quality but some definitely do. Same goes for portable audio players.

I just saw your question regarding dock pinout:
Apple iPhone (1G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) Dock cable connector pinout diagram @ pinouts.ru

2 ohm output impedance
Might help a bit with some IEMs, but with some multi-driver IEMs an even lower output impedance would be helpful.

frequency response more flat
You very probably cannot hear a difference.

up to 8Vrms/32 ohm
Way too much for most/all 32 let alone 16 ohm headphones. I hope you have a switch for lower gain or a very good volume control.

FFT measured distortion is at the limit of the soundcard, not the amplifier. Added after iphone it helps remarkably.
Helps with what, the graph looking prettier?
Your headphones have very probably more than 100x higher THD, IMD.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.