Headphones and Hearing aids - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Headphones and Hearing aids

I've not used headphones since the 80s due to hearing loss.

I now wear hearing aids, which are fine for normal listening.

I would like to be able to use headphones, however the cheap headphones (Sony) I have at home and the Logitech ones I use at work all cause my hearing aids to switch modes as if I am using a telephone. The hearing aids also tend to whistle.

The phone mode goes mono, and cuts the low and high frequencies.

I believe part of both problems is the problems is the close proximity of the fixed magnets in the small headphones trigger the change.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

I am wondering if larger full ear headphones like the Sennheiser HD558 would have these problems.
Old 20th November 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use Stax electrostatics with my hearing aids without problems.
Old 20th November 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ouch! Nice, but a bit above my price range.

I can see where electrostatics wouldn't have a problem with the phone mode.

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
Old 20th November 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mine are oldies but goodies...bought in the mid-70s for about $300 and still going strong.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Decent earphones with good PC EQ should be far better than going via hearing aids.

Normal ear/headphones don't account for background noise, something I very much
notice using a portable player and relatively low ear volume, but as I understand it
advanced hearing aids use lots of compression in the area of your hearing loss.

Stax Electrostatics via a hearing aid ? That is very pointlessly cart before the horse.

Adding a simple open steel grille to your phones will greatly reduce the stray field.
Cut it to fit and press into a roughly dome shape and fit it into your headphones.

rgds, sreten.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sreten,

That's kind of like saying that since I am highly myopic and astigmatic, albeit corrected by glasses...there is no point in my buying a high quality HDTV. It may surprise you to know that I can easily tell the difference between lo-fi, mid-fi and good sound despite my hearing loss, albeit corrected by hearing aids. As I said I've had the Stax for almost 40 years and they still sound great - the OP requested advice on dealing with a specific problem and I offered a specific solution. Your posts are usually rational and constructive, but on this topic methinks you are operating without the benefit of practical experience.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm using Phonak ER hearing aids with one mode configured with no adaptive algorithms, no compression, frequency response correction only.

My audiologist at the VA was very accommodating in configuring one mode to my specifications. The only thing I did not think of at the time was the ability of the hearing aids to switch modes for telephone usage. The next time I go to see her, I will query about having it turned off as well.

While not as good as undamaged hearing, the hearing aids are quite good and provide a quite natural sound.

The problem with equalization is that my hearing loss is not the same for both ears. My right ear has a much greater loss above 4KHz than my left, so equalization is out if it is the same for both L&R.

I'm running Linux on both of my home computers that I listen to, so I'll have to look further at what can be done with that.

Any recommendations on programs that will allow parametric equalization with independent L & R channels?
Old 28th November 2013, 07:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have a simpler idea. How about using 2 small inductive loops (which are like a speaker coil and nothing else) ? The lack of a magnet will not excite "phone mode", but the electromagnetic field will still be picked up by the electronics in your hearing aids (like interference). You can mount them in the headphones My dad diy'ed such a coil for my grandpa , it was driven from the TV audio amplifier. If you have some speaker coils around you can give it a try. Somehow I believe you do
Old 29th November 2013, 08:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I recently got a nice Bluedio R+ headset at about $92. It really rocks!
Old 2nd January 2014, 04:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

After trying several sets of headphones at Best Buy, I ended up ordering a set of Sennheiser HD558 headphones a couple of weeks back. They did not stock them, but most of the Sennheiser headphones I tried did not trigger the hearing aids.

In the meantime, I was visiting my daughter, SIL and Grandson, and the SIL loaned me a set of Bose QuietComfort noise canceling headphones.

They don't trigger the hearing aids either. Nice headphones, but they don't quite sound right. It might just be the noise canceling.

Best Buy apparently discontinued the 558s, as they canceled my order.

They would not order the 598s so I ordered them from J&R music world. They should be in tomorrow, so I look forward to trying them in comparison to the Bose.

Hide this!Advertise here!