Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2013, 11:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best amp possible for the hd-650

hi
I want to build something high-end for the hd-650 sennheiser.
what are the general best choice I have to look?
What about the Chazz2 diyhifisupply amp?
Do I want OTL circuit?

I'm using for now the CK2 III amp, and want a definite upgrade

thanks
Kettel, Dinosaur Jr., Gil Scott Heron, Coltrane, Miles, Jimi hendrix, Zappa,Wisp, L Tristano, Aphex Twin, Wisp, Jon Hopkins, Monk, early DMB, Van Morrison. EC designs SD1 SD Player/ Sl-1200 with DL103-> Art0 Class T->/ Three-way/ JB Continuum/ HD-650
Old 21st September 2013, 07:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you are looking for something with low distortion level, you may consider something like that
Not too many parts and usually no tuning is required.
Old 21st September 2013, 07:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

There are pictures show how the separate PCB looks like. It is made to fit this box
Attached Images
File Type: png PCB_1.png (305.4 KB, 529 views)
File Type: png PCB_2.png (99.8 KB, 518 views)
Old 21st September 2013, 06:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
That'll be tough. HD650s are not hard to drive current wise, yet insensitive enough to not make every last bit of noise heard. It seems the CKČ III isn't super low noise, but distortion is low and its current drive capability is ample.

Do you hear any hiss from the amp? Which position is the volume pot typically in? I imagine one could still tweak it a little with a 10k pot and lower-noise supply - but wouldn't expect any miracles.

An O2 is always handy to have around, but it may very well sound just the same as the CKČ III with HD650s (assuming you have chosen gain wisely). The difference with some SE535s or somesuch could be quite pronounced though (particularly in noise level).

Don't even think about this tube OTL stuff unless you're aiming for a massive downgrade. Some people like decidedly imperfect amplifiers, but it's not exactly an efficient way of getting the sound you want.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, opc's 'The Wire' SE-SE headphone amp is worth considering also. To me, the HD-650's sound very good driven by an O2, but I note an even greater clarity of detail with The Wire.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, I don't do posts with "best" in the title, usually means "clueless", rgds, sreten.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
hi
I want to build something high-end for the hd-650 sennheiser.
what are the general best choice I have to look?
What about the Chazz2 diyhifisupply amp?
Do I want OTL circuit?

thanks
The best I have heard hd580, hd650 and hd800 sound is with a DHT headphone amp. There is a thread with ongoing development/discussion here: The all DHT SET Headphone Amp
Old 21st September 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

well there may be (quite a few) amplifiers "audibly indistiniguishable" from "a wire with gain"

but many may choose "conceptual art" or even accept, seek out "euphonic" distortion of the signal

with the HD650 300 Ohm load and 98 dB/mW sensitivity only +/-12 V, 40 mA are required to reach 120 dB SPL - in fact that much power will bottom out the voice coil at lower frequencies

the Vswing is within many monolithic op amp's capabilities, some can also provide the current without strain
Old 21st September 2013, 11:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My ck 2 III is always set at aroun 9 to 11 am
It seems to have no problem at all driving them.
The zana deux is a otl amp and suppose to be the best amp for the sens, hence the chazz2 option...

I doubt the o2 is the best option here?
I want the ultimate amp for my headphone!
Thanks!
Kettel, Dinosaur Jr., Gil Scott Heron, Coltrane, Miles, Jimi hendrix, Zappa,Wisp, L Tristano, Aphex Twin, Wisp, Jon Hopkins, Monk, early DMB, Van Morrison. EC designs SD1 SD Player/ Sl-1200 with DL103-> Art0 Class T->/ Three-way/ JB Continuum/ HD-650
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:29 AM   #10
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

the O2 site goes to great detail why one might believe it is good enough to be audibly indistinguishable from "perfect" in the accuracy, lack of distortion, flat frequency response "wire with gain" direction

other projects go further in low noise, distortion - perhaps without justification - but rather because it is currently technologically easy to greatly exceed some of the known or suspected human hearing limits

others choose to follow audiophile gurus, formulas like "no feedback", "simple circuits", vacuum tubes, in circuits from half a century ago...

these concepts "stories", including beliefs about "wire with gain" accurate amps do have effects on human perception of audio independant of their actual technical performance - and some do cause clearly audible objective signal differences

Last edited by jcx; 22nd September 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!