Best amp possible for the hd-650 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2013, 12:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
I want the ultimate amp for my headphone!
I find this somewhat reminiscent of Douglas Adam's 'HHGTTG' - in the use of 'ultimate' as in 'the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything'. In the original, they built a computer to answer this without really knowing what that question was.

So is 'ultimate' meant in terms of today's industry standard suite of measurements, or in listening pleasure?
Old 22nd September 2013, 02:56 AM   #12
Account disabled at member's request

best sound= most fun or most musical.
Old 22nd September 2013, 03:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Most musical" is quite subjective too. I would say my stuff sounds the best, while somebody else prefers vacuum tube amp for example.

Anyway, <0.000005% distortions @1kHz sounds quite ultimate to me

Last edited by Sergey888; 22nd September 2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 22nd September 2013, 01:54 PM   #14
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

composite op amp circuits can beat that - I couldn't see any 1 kHz IMD product in one of my multiloop circuits with 10+11 kHz 1:1 with test signal fundamental removal arrangement and 30 dB amp ~ -160 dB resolution floor with 100 s averaging - did have to replace NP0 caps with polystyrene

so basically unmearurable distortion from active parts is possible - then care in passives part selection and layout of course

another big question is "ultimate" analog volume control - $50 Noble pot, $100+ stepped attenuator, $300+ TVC, $400 Penny Giles oil filled pot - or LDR, PGA - what do you believe, how much do want to spend for it

Last edited by jcx; 22nd September 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 22nd September 2013, 02:03 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Depends on the loading. In this case result was achieved driving 2Vrms onto 15Ohm. With lighter loads, something like 51Ohms it goes down to levels mentioned by you.
And yeah, that was composite too
Again, it is not a question of the level itself. It is just a demonstration how easy it is these days.

Last edited by Sergey888; 22nd September 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 22nd September 2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
composite op amp circuits can beat that - I couldn't see any 1 kHz IMD product in one of my multiloop circuits with 10+11 kHz 1:1 with test signal fundamental removal arrangement and 30 dB amp ~ -160 dB resolution floor with 100 s averaging - did have to replace NP0 caps with polystyrene

so basically unmearurable distortion from active parts is possible - then care in passives part selection and layout of course

another big question is "ultimate" analog volume control - $50 Noble pot, $100+ stepped attenuator, $300+ TVC, $400 Penny Giles oil filled pot - or LDR, PGA - what do you believe, how much do want to spend for it
indeed, the pot will probably not be installed. I use a preamp anyways, so use only one pot, the TKD 2511 series.
Old 22nd September 2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Limp is offline Limp  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you thought about looking for some new headphones?
I'm not saying that the HD650 is a bad choice, or that I've got any better suggestions, but there might just be something a bit more fun and musical out there.
It certainly is a lot easier to change the sound of your system this way, than by changing the amplifier.
Old 22nd September 2013, 08:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I would suggest you to build a Beta22 . It would also be excellent for nearly any other headphone if you decide to change your headphones later.
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Then I suggest avoiding designs from the meter jockeys.
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:20 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default A vote for OTL DHTs

I'm driving my HD600s with a Bottlehead Crack w/Mullard CV4003 driver, vintage RCA 6080 power triode, PEC 50k pot and Dayton film caps bypassed w/Russian FT-1 0.047 teflon caps, and it sounds like a million bucks, even before the Speedball CCCS upgrade. Great sound for not a lot of money.

Hide this!Advertise here!