New PC setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm looking to put together an audio setup for my PC and maybe learn a little about PC audio. I want it to be as cost effective as possible since money really is an object to me.

I'll try to log as much information as possible but if there's anything else you need to know, reply and I'll make an edit of this post.

I'm starting from scratch in terms of audio equipment. My motherboard audio is of no use so I'll most likely need a sound card (I have plenty of room in my PC). Circumaural headphones are a must in this setup, comfort being the main reason for this due to usage of around 6-12 hours per day. My uses are across the board so nothing specialized required, just a solid setup. It doesn't need to be portable. Noise cancellation would be nice but unnecessary at huge costs.

I'm also looking for something like a Modmic, although I'm not so concerned about mic quality, specifically for gaming.

Please bear in mind that I'm a complete beginner when it comes to audio, my only actual experience is setting up my moms stereo.

Thanks for your patience.

So, in terms of amplification and DAC would something like this would be okay? Any other recommendations?

Then maybe Sennheiser hd650's? Overkill?

Osvaldo, as I mentioned, I'm a beginner. I'm assuming you mean modding one of those chips to my mobo. I may have over-sold my skills somehow, that would be way out of my comfort zone unless there is a specific guide on how to do it.

A USB DAC that uses a Burr-Brown codec will be pretty decent, yet inexpensive. Search ebay for usb pcm dac headphone. Some include S/PDIF output, which would allow you to add an external DAC or digital AV receiver in the future. Or, try music stores for the Behringer UCA-202, though I couldn't say if it's a better implementation than the eBay things.

There's probably some internal sound cards worth considering. Some of Creative's cards were available in a premium version that included a module that installed in a front drive bay with a 1/4" headphone jack (with volume knob), mic and line inputs, S/PDIF and MIDI I/O. Those were pricy at the time, but I've come across the drive bay modules at computer recyclers.

If your motherboard's onboard sound includes an S/PDIF digital output, you could connect that to an outboard DAC.

So, in terms of amplification and DAC would something like this would be okay? Any other recommendations?

Then maybe Sennheiser hd650's? Overkill?

Osvaldo, as I mentioned, I'm a beginner. I'm assuming you mean modding one of those chips to my mobo. I may have over-sold my skills somehow, that would be way out of my comfort zone unless there is a specific guide on how to do it.

The HD650 is a grand old champ. If you can swing it, there is no reason why not to go for it.
The Philips Fidelio L1 could also be an option.

When it comes to DAC/amps the choices are seemingly endless.
I haven't managed to stay on top of thing lately, but the Tube Magic seems solid enough. Another option, considering frugality, could be an O2/ODAC.
Head-Fi is more trouble than it's worth. 99% FOTM.

Last edited:
A USB DAC replaces the onboard sound. S/PDIF output bypasses the (usually) noisy analog portion of the onboard sound, and it can provide complete electrical isolation between the computer and your sound system.

There are some USB devices that provide both line and S/PDIF in and out, which will be useful if you want to capture from analog sources (tape or records). The ART USB Phono Plus includes a phono preamp. It has a headphone output, which can be used to monitor recording, playback or both at the same time. The ADSTech "Instant Music" is bare-bones: line in and out, S/PDIF in and out, no volume control, no headphone jack, no phono preamp. It's a faithful implementation of the PCM2902 application note, though, so it performs well (better than the Behringer UCA-202), and could be a good basis for modifications. (Add a headphone amp, hook up the unused Volume/Mute buttons that exist on the layout.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.