Crazy CMOY board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Yurk is offline Yurk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy CMOY board

Hey all,

I've made a few CMOYs on perfboard, and played around with some power schemes. Wanted to make a PCB, and then decided to add in crossfeed, and power, and then wondered if I could get it all on the same board, and make it as flexible as possible for experimenting,
and make it fit ExpressPCBs 3.8 x 2.5 footprint (cheapest option). Well, this is it.

Completely loaded, it uses Sijosae's rail splitter, Tangent's modified Linkwitz crossfeed (HI-Z version), and Apheared's 47 CMOY.

All the power grounds are on the bottom ground plane, and the signal grounds are on the top ground plane. All these get tied together at Main ground (MGND). I tried to get all the traces on the bottom of the board that I possibly could.

Options:

All resistors in the crossfeed and the cmoy circuit are spaced 0.1 inches for SIP rails, if you'd like even more flexibility. Left room for OPAMP sockets.

Power:
You can use Sijosae's rail splitter to feed the regulators, or use a TLE. If you don't want the regulators on the board, you can bypass them. If you have a split supply already, you can bypass all the power circuitry on the board and use that. All of that's spelled out in the schematic as to which connections and parts need to be used/jumpered/omitted. Also added space for small bypass caps by the OPAMPS.

Crossfeed:
You can use it or not. Different inputs for not using it, need jumpers if you do use it. Again, that's in the schematic too. Layout can use caps with lead spacing from 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6 inches, so everyone should be able to fit (most of) their favorite film caps.

CMOY:
This is pretty much Apheared's 47 CMOY, don't think I changed anything schematic wise, just a different board layout. Caps use same footprint as the ones in the crossfeed section.

Biggest problem is that there isn't any room on the board for jacks. Everything has to be done with flywires.

If you wanted to attach this board to something, the mounting holes should accomodate #4 machine bolts.

So, this is my crazy layout I'm going to be experimenting with, what stands out as the worst thing(s) about it? See something I missed? Just want to comment about how crazy I am? All comments welcome.

Yurk
Attached Files
File Type: zip CMOY.zip (72.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 15th August 2013, 03:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Picture

Picture of board with all layers on:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMOY.jpg (184.8 KB, 849 views)
Old 15th August 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ExpressPCB is very expensive.
Better to use OSHpark.
Learn EAGLE
Old 15th August 2013, 10:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avro Arrow View Post
ExpressPCB is very expensive.
Better to use OSHpark.
Learn EAGLE
True, EpressPCB would cost about twice as much as 3 boards from OSHpark. And those OSHpark boards look awesome!

Unfortunately, I absolutely HATE Eagle. I did a few designs with it, spent several weeks with it, and kept waiting for that ahaa moment that everyone seems to have -- use Eagle long enough, and you'll like it. Didn't happen for me.

Have heard some good things about Kicad, may give it a try.
Old 15th August 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Any program that can output Gerbers and you are comfortable will do.

The boards from OSHPark are far better than what you get from ExpressPCB.

I know, I have used both services.
Old 23rd August 2013, 03:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Preliminary Eagle draft. Still want to add labels to the bottom of the board.

Done in Eagle 6.5.0 free version
Attached Files
File Type: zip CMOY3.zip (83.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 25th August 2013, 08:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Noticed last night that my MGND that is supposed to tie both top and bottom planes together (GND and AGND) isn't connected to the top plane, just the bottom. Guess I'll have to add a another hole that's tied to the top plane and jumper them together? Anybody have a way for a hole to join two different nets and pass DRC/ERC?
Old 26th August 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Use the "name" command.
You give the two ground planes the same name then
they will join with a via. You may need to give
the via the same name as the planes.
Old 26th August 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I just tried that. Didn't quite do what I wanted though. By renaming one plane to GND to match the other plane, it disconnected everything that was attached to AGND.

I've got all the power supply gnds on one plane, and the signal ground on the other plane, and I want them to join at only one point (even though it's a floating ground, not a real ground, etc).

In ExpressPCB, I just told it to put thermals on top and bottom of hole MGND, and it was happy. Eagle is trying to protect me from myself, and won't let me do what I want. Very frustrating.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'll have a look at your files and see what I can come up with

Hide this!Advertise here!