starving student vs jonokuchi or hybrid vs tubes for hd600 and sr80i ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default starving student vs jonokuchi or hybrid vs tubes for hd600 and sr80i ?

Currently i have xonar dx sound card as source, cmoy as headphone amp and grado sr80i as my first and denon dn hp500 as second headphones.

Now i am planing to make one more amp but this time with tubes.

My question is, is there diference in sound between hybrid and pure tube type of headphones amplifier.

I am also planing to upgrade headphones with sennheiser hd 600 and i thing that i should get bether amp than cmoy.

Now i am locking on those two diy tube amp.

Starving Student hybrid which is hybrid

and this one
Jonokuchi desktop amp which is pure tube type.

Which one is better for primarly sennheiser hd600 and secondly for grado sr80i which are just 32ohm headphnes??
Old 15th August 2013, 09:53 PM   #2
dfy is offline dfy
diyAudio Member

Can't say much about the sound of either model. However, I feel you should also look into the practical issues before deciding on one:

- price: the Jonokuchi is going to be more expensive to build, because you need decent output transformers.
- high voltage: the SSMH can be built with an external 48V power pack, while you need to do mains wiring with a transformer on the Jonokuchi. Moreover, you have very high voltages (B+ is 340V) in the Jonokuchi. Only do that if you feel comfortable and qualified to do it safely.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am willing to play, I am willing to learn
I will buy pcb for 40$ and than it is much easier
why are you asking , do you have some suggestion for some other amp with tubes?
Old 16th August 2013, 11:55 AM   #4
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I've built a Bottlehead Crack for a Senheiser HD 600 and the combo sounds wonderful. No output transformer needed. It was my first tube amp and I found it very easy to build. Have ordered their Speedball upgrade along with the amp but haven't upgraded yet.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:34 PM   #5
mpeg2 is offline mpeg2  United States
diyAudio Member

...and I'll second the Bottlehead Crack - I'm using it with very old AKG K240 Monitor headphones (600 ohm) and the sound is very clean/clear. Easy build and excellent support.

Rich

Hide this!Advertise here!