Headphone amp recommendation required? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2013, 02:46 AM   #11
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
could be a trifle over power @ 100 W/ch
Absolutely.

60W 1% 6R would be 6W into 600R.

Price is right, looks nice.

A power attenuator would be in order...20dB min.

Just a suggestion.

Old 8th July 2013, 02:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal runaway View Post
Have looked around for a suitable amp to suit my requirement but nothing seems to meet it.
I use a Sennheiser HD414 headphone when listening on my laptop but as they are 600 ohm the laptop will just not drive them loud enough.
So, I need a headphone amp that can be driven from the laptop audio out and will match the 414, any idea's?
Hi,
I think you can use for example a M or a CKIII.
I use myself a M with variable gain and a HD800 (and HD580) and it can easily drive the HD800.
For high impedance headphones, I think you can't go wrong with either the M (which can also perfectly drive low impedance cans) or a cheaper Cavalli Kan Kumisa.

PS: In case you are interested, I'm building regularly those kind of headphone amps, and at this moment I'm selling an M3 with variable gain. You can see it here: M3 Headphone Amp with wood/aluminum case with Sigma 11 PSU / Epsilon 12 (DIY AMB)

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Old 8th July 2013, 09:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks, it looks very good but way beyond the budget I want to spend on this.
Old 8th July 2013, 09:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks thermal runaway!
If you have some time, and if you want to keep costs the lowest whereas having a high quality amp which can provide high voltage swing, I suggest you to build a CKIII which is simpler to build (only one board is necessary for amp + psu). Price of parts for CKIII are about half the price of M parts. You can then find or build a simple and smaller enclosure to put the board in.
This is just an idea...

Cheers
Old 9th July 2013, 01:57 AM   #15
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal runaway View Post
I use a Sennheiser HD414 headphone when listening on my laptop but as they are 600 ohm the laptop will just not drive them loud enough.
My creation here would also work:

A version of an O2 Desktop Amp (ODA)

but it sounds like you may be looking for pre-built rather than DIY. Someone on the forum here could probably build one up for you though. Parts cost with the case, power adapter and PC board is around $250. That is US cost though with parts coming from Mouser and Digikey. I know they charge an arm and leg for shipping to other countries.

14Vpeak = 9.9Vrms into 600R, which would be 163mW. You phone's sensitivity / efficiency is listed as 94dB/mW. That would give 94dB + 10log(163) = 116dB. Both RocketScientist / NwAvGuy

NwAvGuy: More Power?

and Shure

Understanding Earphone / Headphone Specifications

seem to agree that 115dB or so SPL is just as loud as headphones should ever go. Even then it is short duration/exposure from the charts. They both list 105dB - 115dB as a good low/high range. In fact your phones are listed as 100mW maximum continuous power (peaks above that are OK).

Last edited by agdr; 9th July 2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:46 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. Suggestions appreciated but they are high end designs and my requirement is, unfortunately, low budget. Looking to spend no more than 50/$75 on this.
Thanks for the caution on SPL. Just to clarify, I just want to get a reasonable level via the laptop, at the moment it's just way too low.
There are some Chinese products on ebay for no more than my budget or even less. Either DIY kits or assembled boards, looks like I may have to go this route.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

You should fire off a PM to this user.
He sells what you are looking for.
Old 9th July 2013, 02:42 PM   #18
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 on Avro_Arrow's suggestion! I'll bet that is FredFred over on Head-Fi. He is a zen master of small single-chip CMOYs.

Just one LME49720 chip ($3 or so) in a CMOY would work for both channels. The chip is even specified for 600R loads in the data sheet.

With a peak swing of 12Vdc (maximum swing with +/-15Vdc rails) that would be just 12V/600R = 20mA (peak), which is within the 23mA output current shown for an LME49720 chip into 600R. 12Vpeak = 8.5Vrms = 8.5/600 = 14mA (rms). Somehwere around (15V - 8.5V) * 14mA = 91mW of chip dissipation at the full swing per channel, or 180mW total, well within the 400mW or so for the DIP8 package, even with ambient de-rating.

Last edited by agdr; 9th July 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 9th July 2013, 03:10 PM   #19
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

100mW into 600ohms is equivalent to 11Vpk.

You can't get that from +-12Vdc (24Vdc single ended).
You will need +-15Vdc (30Vdc) to get to 100mW.

And that is why all your direct Sources can't drive them to 100mW. They don't have sufficient rail to rail voltage.
Old 10th July 2013, 11:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
+1 on Avro_Arrow's suggestion! I'll bet that is FredFred over on Head-Fi. He is a zen master of small single-chip CMOYs.

Just one LME49720 chip ($3 or so) in a CMOY would work for both channels. The chip is even specified for 600R loads in the data sheet.

With a peak swing of 12Vdc (maximum swing with +/-15Vdc rails) that would be just 12V/600R = 20mA (peak), which is within the 23mA output current shown for an LME49720 chip into 600R. 12Vpeak = 8.5Vrms = 8.5/600 = 14mA (rms). Somehwere around (15V - 8.5V) * 14mA = 91mW of chip dissipation at the full swing per channel, or 180mW total, well within the 400mW or so for the DIP8 package, even with ambient de-rating.
Thats my secret identy blown

cheers
FRED

Hide this!Advertise here!