2SC1815 alternative for Mini Zen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this the "sensing transistor" Q3 here?
I used ZTX450s because I had some of these in my pocket. To substitute for the ZTX450, any NPN transistor with an hfe greater than 100 will work well. With the values as in the schematic diagram, the Q3 collector current is about 2.5mA and the Vce drop about 5V.
Sounds like most any of the usual suspects would work. If you're bound to Japanese transistor pinout, something like a 2SC2240 should work fine, otherwise you could use a plain ol' BC549B/C or BC550B/C.

What is confusing you?
The R and L suffix refers to the Right and Left channel.
In fact you have two copies of the circuit on the PCB.
Q1L and Q1R are both Q1's, so IRF610. Etcetera.

Pay attention to the fact that the C1815 has a "Japanese" ECB pinout, whereas the BC549 family are CBE.
If you are careful and insulate the pins, you can twist them into position.

_

....................Pay attention to the fact that the C1815 has a "Japanese" ECB pinout, whereas the BC549 family are CBE.
If you are careful and insulate the pins, you can twist them into position..................._
I generally find that when substituting a different pin out that insulating the middle leg with a tube from a solid core 0.6mm wire is sufficient.

I also find that rotating the device 90degrees and then bending one leg forward and another leg backwards gets the pin out to line up pretty well without risk of shorting legs.

Try not to bend legs at the package.
Use needle nose pliers to hold all three legs up tight to the package and bend the legs that protrude from the pliers. While still holding the device in the pliers offer it up to a copy of the PCB and make small adjustments to each protruding leg until a good fit is obtained. Now insert into PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.