Headphone Amp Feels 'Electrified' - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2013, 04:59 AM   #11
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosar View Post
Thanks for all of the quick replies. It does run on batteries or a linear regulated PSU (I've tried both) and I have felt the 'electrified case' when it has been attached to my SACD player (which does only have two prongs for the AC mains) and my Xbox 360 which also only has two prongs even though it still uses a Mickey Mouse plug from the PSU to the wall. I'll try to experiment with some different devices (like my blu-ray player, ps3, etc.) and some different plugs throughout the house...now that I think about it, I remember some of my downstairs outlets did register a ground fault when I tested them upon moving into my house. I'll try one of my good outlets upstairs.

Thanks again,

Robert
(X)Y safety capacitors currents
Old 22nd June 2013, 04:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ground wires are often unhooked by plumbers and then not reattached or reattached improperly. Plumbing repairs can interrupt ground path even if the plumber does not touch the ground wires. My house had this problem when I bought it; a plumber had replaced an iron pipe with a copper pipe attached with plastic bushings. The plastic bushings are to prevent corrosion caused by two dissimilar metals in contact. They also interrupted the mains ground path.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I'm not sure whether running mains protective earth (or even return) over plumbing is even allowed over here. Definitely not for gas pipes, that much I know.

And yes, as mentioned this phenomenon can appear when Class II (double insulated) devices are using mains filter caps from phase and neutral to circuit ground. This essentially has ground floating at half mains voltage. Depending on capacitance values, it's also good for some nasty sparks when plugging things in.
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:07 AM   #14
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

sure, gas pipes are also here forbidden, anyway gnd wiring should be done separately, not from water pipes.
let electrician check your gnd wiring, we have rule <2Ω to ground
metal cover appliances should have 3pin socket

TN-C or TN-S ?
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
Interesting. I'm not sure whether running mains protective earth (or even return) over plumbing is even allowed over here.
It's NEC code here. Only licensed union personnel are allowed to work on electrical, plumbing, and gas lines. In some areas, you have to be in a union to move a chair from one room to another but that's another rant.

Of course, it is the exception that licensed workers repair most houses. It's the difference between $120/ hr and $25/ hr. Very few homeowners are willing to pay the ridiculous price for union work. As a result, union guys don't get much work and "scabs" have more work than they can handle. A lot of union guys are "scabs" on the side of course.

Quote:
Definitely not for gas pipes, that much I know.
A Three Stooges episode comes to mind.

Quote:
And yes, as mentioned this phenomenon can appear when Class II (double insulated) devices are using mains filter caps from phase and neutral to circuit ground. This essentially has ground floating at half mains voltage. Depending on capacitance values, it's also good for some nasty sparks when plugging things in.
That's terrible. Everything I build is three pronged and grounded. Ungrounded outlets are obsolete here, but still commonly found. The first thin I did when I bought my house was swap the ungrounded outlets for grounded ones.

My house is grounded to the plumbing (correctly now), but my shop is grounded through two 4 foot long copper stakes driven into the ground.
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Measure between ground and neutral wire for < .25vac.

-RNM

Hide this!Advertise here!