O2 LiPo Daughterboard - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2013, 07:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Nice points, Amperage.

The adaptive regulation is interesting. What are you using in the feedback loop to prevent the DC-DC output basically toggling very fast at audio frequencies if the headphone output voltage is swinging above/below 3.5V? There would have to be some sort of envelope detector with hysteresis built in I would think...
Old 19th June 2013, 08:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastro54 View Post
Nice points, Amperage.

The adaptive regulation is interesting. What are you using in the feedback loop to prevent the DC-DC output basically toggling very fast at audio frequencies if the headphone output voltage is swinging above/below 3.5V? There would have to be some sort of envelope detector with hysteresis built in I would think...
A diode prevents negative voltages from discharging the circuit and a small capacitor charges and keeps the mosfet turned on for a short period after the voltage falls coming from the headphone output. The value of the capacitor and circuit leakage will obviously change the "on" time but in my particular application it holds the higher voltage level for approximately 5 seconds before the mosfet turns back off. I posted the circuit a while back in this thread and a later addon that gave a visual indication if it was operating in low or high power mode (power light pulses on and off when in low power mode).

Audio controlled voltage mod.

I've been running the circuit in a couple of amps for a while and measured the output on the scope looking for odd transients from the voltage shift. At worst from dead silent to a really loud burst there is a bit of clipping on the first half of the wave while the voltages come up from the DC-DC converter but it's inaudible. During normal listening there generally isn't such abrupt volume changes and the voltage shifts well in time to prevent clipping of any sort.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:36 PM   #13
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

I got most of the parts in but i will need to design and have a pcb fabricated to do testing. I will work on that on and off over the next few weeks as i get time to do so. Meantime i have a soundblaster ZxR coming later this week that by chance has a tpa6120 so i will get to try out just how well it can run my high impedance headphones and i can go from there in my designs, perhaps instead of a upgrade for the o2 i will be essentially building a 6120 amp

really cool feedback circuit you got there amperage

Last edited by ryuji; 19th June 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji View Post
I got most of the parts in but i will need to design and have a pcb fabricated to do testing. I will work on that on and off over the next few weeks as i get time to do so. Meantime i have a soundblaster ZxR coming later this week that by chance has a tpa6120 so i will get to try out just how well it can run my high impedance headphones and i can go from there in my designs, perhaps instead of a upgrade for the o2 i will be essentially building a 6120 amp
I quite enjoy the sound from my 6120 amps. It's certainly not the easiest on power consumption but it's capable of enough power output to brute force even the greediest of headphones. One modification I did make vs the recommended circuit configuration in the datasheet was to use 5ohm output resistors.. I haven't run into any stability issues at all with a number of diff loads and it's a much more acceptable output impedance for low resistance headphones.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

reading through the datasheet earlier, i recall reading that the output resistors were to protect the 6120 from capacitive outputs and short circuits. since the datasheet cites using it as a pre-amplifier this is for the situation where the following stage is protected from dc offsets using a input capacitor, and for headphone usage can be reduced to 1 ohm or even omitted?
Old 19th June 2013, 08:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
reading through the datasheet earlier, i recall reading that the output resistors were to protect the 6120 from capacitive outputs and short circuits. since the datasheet cites using it as a pre-amplifier this is for the situation where the following stage is protected from dc offsets using a input capacitor, and for headphone usage can be reduced to 1 ohm or even omitted?
I haven't tried completely eliminating it. The 6120 is a high speed op amp and as such is pretty sensitive to layout and oscillation issues. The chip itself has output short circuit protection so the resistors are mainly to protect it from load capacitance (even headphones have some small amount of capacitance). You can always add pads for the resistors on the pcb layout and bridge them just to test.
Old 20th June 2013, 06:46 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Just sampled my headphones on the integrated tpa6120 amp in my sound card. plenty of volume. I think i might be indeed be making my project tpa6120 based instead of o2.
Old 20th June 2013, 08:26 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just sampled my headphones on the integrated tpa6120 amp in my sound card. plenty of volume. I think i might be indeed be making my project tpa6120 based instead of o2.
That soundcard is running the 6120 Very conservatively also. If you check the specs here you can see even with 600ohm load it's rated for 2Vrms output. Not sure how they claim 80mW output into 600ohm. The tpa6120 is capable of it but when driven at +/- 12v. 2Vrms isn't going to do it

Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card Review | techPowerUp
Old 20th June 2013, 11:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amperage View Post
That soundcard is running the 6120 Very conservatively also. If you check the specs here you can see even with 600ohm load it's rated for 2Vrms output. Not sure how they claim 80mW output into 600ohm. The tpa6120 is capable of it but when driven at +/- 12v. 2Vrms isn't going to do it

Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card Review | techPowerUp
that's running a MAX97220A
the ZxR is completely different hardware
Old 20th June 2013, 11:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Review - Closer Look

contrast between the two pcb's is interesting. the Z looks like barely anything on it in comparison =P

The software has a high gain setting, but specifically says not to use it on anything but 600 ohm headphones, and that the other setting is for up to 300 ohms(mines closer to 300 ohms)

Last edited by ryuji; 21st June 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!