Battery powered 4W amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Battery powered 4W amp

It occurred to me, for a small very clean amp, this is the place to look. I have not been here for a while, so my stack of schematics is a bit OBE.

Anyway, I am looking to build an amp for speaker testing. Getting the power noise out of any of my full size amps is quite a task, so something battery powered is possible but not required. My smallest amp on hand is 60W, and not handy for portable and takes up too much space on the test bench. I only need 4W or so, but I want it VERY flat, 5 to 30K. I don't mind high feedback to get the distortion down to the .001 range as it is not for music listening. Something silly like 10 op amps in parallel would probably even work. Not eloquent design. Any threads to point me off to here while I troll around to catch up?
Old 21st February 2013, 11:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
I don't mind high feedback to get the distortion down to the .001 range as it is not for music listening.
Old 21st February 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess the big difference is this needs to drive low Z loads. Looking at my stack, most prefer nicer loads like my Grado's. A low power gain clone may not work well because I need low gain. I had bought a Z3 amp for this, but one of the things you don't get with it is what is commonly referred to as a power supply filter cap.

Hide this!Advertise here!