full range planar headphones using neodynium magnets - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2013, 11:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

nearly finished the planar headphones today ,but had accident put screwdriver thro' my diaphragm. Will hopefully finish tomorrow. If all goes well. See which design sounds the best. May have to lower impedance to get more sensitivity!
Old 14th May 2013, 02:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Up and working sound wonderful, certainly worth the effort, must listen to a lot of music to fully appraise the design. Not as loud as my other various headphones, will probably reduce the resistor somewhat. Why is the impedance so high? Have a pair of KOSS PRO/4XTC and they measure 105 ohms!!! Any comments by an expert in this field would be very welcome, as my technical expertise is non existent. I just build of the top of my head.!
Old 17th May 2013, 06:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

BTW most commercial planar headphones are using magnets on both sides of the diaphragm.
Old 17th May 2013, 08:45 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgunder View Post
BTW most commercial planar headphones are using magnets on both sides of the diaphragm.
Couldn't find these headphones what no. are they? My planar headphones only cost about 40 or less and they weigh the same around 400 grams. Will be sending more pics of my next headphone project. My first were closed back, my next pair will be both open and closed, see which I prefer if there is any difference.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

The commercial offerings are

Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3
Hifiman HE-400, HE-500 and HE-6
Fostex T50rp

and probably some others too.
Old 19th May 2013, 02:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

The magnets in the plannar mag cans are opposed and very close, so this is probably why you are not getting the dB you want. You might have to develop a way to clamp down on the magnets while you mount them opposing each other using screws and an aluminum frame that will hold the mags in place while you screw them down. They are very strong so machine screws at least about 6-32 thread will do well. You may be able to increase your resistance to increase motor stability in the design also.

I was thinking of building some plannar mag bookshelf/tv speakers someday using this frame and screw idea. This will make it possible to make minute changes in the distance of the wires to the magnets also; very tweakable.

Hide this!Advertise here!