Sennhesier HD424

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going through some of my stored stuff, and came across vintage Sennheiser HD424 headphones. They are in mint condition, except for the disintegrated yellow foam cushions, so I ordered replacement cushions from Sennheiser. I also have a promotional brochure that shows that these headphones are 2,000 ohm impedance. They have the shiny metal end caps, not the later black plastic end caps.

I would like to listen to these using the output from my PC. I would need an adapter since these headphones have a 1/4 inch plug, but my concern is that the PC might not be able to drive these headphones. When I look at inexpensive portable headphone amps, I see nothing that looks like it would work with 2,000 ohm headphones. Any suggestions on where to look or what to do? I don't want to spend a fortune, but would really like to listen to these.

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would just try your phones to begin with. High impedance phones generally need more voltage drive than low impedance. Many headphone stages use a series resistor to feed the phones and so using high impedance one automatically allows for more voltage to be available.

Try them first before worrying there is a problem.

Thanks, Mooly

It sounds like I can't do any damage to try the HD 424 without an amp.
I ordered a Sennheiser mini plug to 1/4 female adapter and will give it a try.

I have done a lot of research on the internet regarding impedance of headphones compared to impedance of the source. I must say it makes my head spin. About the only thing that everybody seems to agree on is that the impedance of the headphones should be at least 8 times the impedance of the source. I haven't seen much on the effects of headphone impedance being a much larger multiple of source impedance (like maybe 100 times or more in my case).

One of the most surprising things about these old '424s is just how varied they can sound with different types of amplifiers, regardless of impedances, gain stages, etc - they do seem to favour the output transformer or the current buffer drive, despite their higher impedace load and assumed benefits of 'voltage drive' ccts - don't know why - these 'phones have always been a bit of a puzzle and yet the do sound rather good and are rather comfortable for many over long periods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.