Can I add a Potentiometer to these Headphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, the original cable is around 2m, the extension makes it 4m in total. the impedance of the headphones at work is different to the ones I have at home, ones at work are midrange headphones that I think are rated @ 32Ω while the ones at home are rated around 60Ω

is there any way to change the impedance of the potentiometer? or perhaps I can use the existing housing and pcb and just replace the potentiometer with a 60Ω potentiometer? or if I can build my own small and lite something that controls the volume?

here are the specifications of the headphones at work

• Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
• Sensitivity: 102dB (???)
• Driver Diameter: ???
• Max.Input Power: 200mW
• Impedance: 32Ω

I cant adjust the volume on the machine because I don't sit in front of the machine(eg, cd player or computer) when listening to the headphones. I am usually sitting somewhere or laying on my couch reading a book or trying to focus on something. So getting up every time I want to change the volume can become an annoyance and distraction.

I dont mind as long as the loss is not something huge and noticeable. Do you think I will be okay putting the 32Ω potentiometer on my 60Ω headphone cable? or should I replace the 32Ω potentiometer on the donor volume controller with a 60Ω potentiometer before transplanting and putting it on my cable?

is there an alternate? otherwise I wouldn't mind upgrading my headphones to something better that has a potentiometer or volume control per say. This is a feature I have not seen in any higher end headphones from AKG, Beyerodynamics or anything like that with a way to control the volume within the headphones or cable. What happened? with 4m of cable do they expect people to just sit in front of their desks or equipment or reach in their pockets to their ipad to turn the sound up and down every time they like?

Do you know any higher end headphones that have this feature? I'd prefer open headphones since they are better sounding and it will be for home use. However I don't want to buy cheap over priced kiddi stuff from dr. dre, bose and other crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.