Stax upgrade recomendations please. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 06:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You may be hard pressed to do better. I have SR-X Mark 3 and SRD-6 SB. It is a different species of listening experience. Speed is breathtaking and the midband is unsurpassed. Mercilessly cruel on less than wonderful recordings. I have listened to Sennheiser HD600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT880 and greatly respect them (I use the latter for 'normal' listening), but there is something special about the near-zero mass diaphragm of Stax. These were an ultra-phone of the 1970s and remain so. Hook these babies up to first class amplification and you are heaven, my friend. Forget exotic ribbon speakers, this is something else. However, some things I have found: 1) Low-slung position over the ears gets better bass - the SR-X are really position dependent. 2) EQ iTunes to up the bass and upper treble. But keep the mid absolutely, absolutely flat. Meet you in audio heaven.
Old 12th April 2013, 07:43 AM   #12
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

not always IMO. some of the models are really just too bass light, unnaturally so, thats why they are mercilous and they simply cannot produce the low bass so EQ wont help. IMO you get better value from a high end dynamic or planar headphone in that price-range. the higher end models are to die for though. O2 Mk2 (much preferred to the SR-009 for my tastes) driven from a DIY T2 or BHSE, really is something else. I dont find them brutal either, exceptional musical detail, midrange to die for, tight bass etc, everything one could want and soooo comfortable, but not fatiguing like HD800 for example. the only bad thing I found was that they are so clean sounding that you can turn them up too far without realizing how loud they are, because there are none of the usual cues, nothing is distorting or struggling except your ears. very similar to high end Custom IEMs (musuicians in ear stage monitors) in that regard.
Old 12th April 2013, 03:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

If you are looking to build an amp, I would strongly recommend KGSSHV. And if you think you have good DIY skill, why not try to DIY a pair of electrostatic headphones?
Has anybody made an ELS headphone?
Old 27th April 2013, 07:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
not always IMO. some of the models are really just too bass light, unnaturally so, thats why they are mercilous and they simply cannot produce the low bass so EQ wont help. IMO you get better value from a high end dynamic or planar headphone in that price-range. the higher end models are to die for though. O2 Mk2 (much preferred to the SR-009 for my tastes) driven from a DIY T2 or BHSE, really is something else. I dont find them brutal either, exceptional musical detail, midrange to die for, tight bass etc, everything one could want and soooo comfortable, but not fatiguing like HD800 for example. the only bad thing I found was that they are so clean sounding that you can turn them up too far without realizing how loud they are, because there are none of the usual cues, nothing is distorting or struggling except your ears. very similar to high end Custom IEMs (musuicians in ear stage monitors) in that regard.
I have not heard O2 Mk2, must do. I agree on bass lightness of SRX III; it is disappointing, nay unacceptable, for anyone wanting real palpable bass. But I contend this is not their talent, and it probably depends on what genre of music one listens to. For anything with critical midband, SRX are still one of the first tools to reach for. They allow one to see what's going on in a mix, dismantle it track by track. For mixing work, bass-light monitors can be super revealing; well I contend these are the headphone equivalent. As a CD reviewer (classical), I confess I could not do without them. It may be their speed. There are obvious trade-offs: position over the ear is scrappy, they sound chirpy and light - I like their 'enthusiasm'. And yes like others, I find myself going loud, because it seems they are so damned clean. That may be their strength. Dynamic cans don't get one stoked on high volume, IME. Must mean low distortion.

Hide this!Advertise here!