Headphone maximum power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
-12dB of 2V is 0.5V, I have not encountered this low even on older recordings on CD remastered from analog.

I have a recording, Jimmy Rogers' Bluebird, that peaks at a low 0.88Vrms and SPL is not wanting more on headphones. Most of my CDs average peaks of 1.1 to 1.2Vrms...MJ's remastered Thriller tops it at 1.424Vrms. Lower than these are mostly from older recordings but most are coming out now remastered to the proper line levels.

Last edited:
I like your document better than mine. I will share mine because it makes it easy to convert dB/mW to dB/V. That's math I'd rather have Excel perform than to have to constantly remember exactly how to calculate it.

Also, I relied heavily on manufacturer specs whereas you chose the better route of using lab-measured results. But download it and mess around with the Max dB (Cell M1) and I believe it will be a revelation to many how little power it takes to go too loud (beyond 80dB). I also have a condition set to colorize any current requirements beyond 25mA because it seems to be at or near the practical limit for many OpAmps so it requires special consideration when building an amp or buffer.

http://sdrv.ms/UV0OkQ

Nice :)
I like that we can directly visualise the sensitivity of the headphone in dB/mW and dB/V. I may add this data in my doc.

Our results are quite similar (the error is due to the spec/experimental data of impedance and sensitivity)

Just one thing : Your max current is compute from Vrms value. So the result is Irms and you need to multiply it by sqrt(2) to get the pic value. (spec of AOP is for absolute maximum output, so pic current (+/- pic current))

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.