Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2012, 01:44 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Ah, well!

What caught my eye was the neat idea about having some of the pins on the 634 go to the top layer and some to the bottom layer - I hadn't thought about that one!

I recently got a little "Variable resistor" kit over from Uriah (Daley - Lighter Note vol Control) and he had a neat way of physically positioning a resistor above a zener with separately spaced donuts and helped compact the pcb quite a lot - another new one for me!

A real 'gem' of an idea.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:24 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for your viewpoints, all very helpful.

I had a chance to try the 650s and I was impressed, maybe a little heavy on the lows but i couldn't seem to find any kind of roll-off on the highs that some people have described, and that was not even with the proper headamp. The K701 unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere to listen with, so I couldn't compare.

Also aesthetically and feeling on the head I believe i would like the 650s better.

Finally I ordered the 650s which I should get soon.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:32 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Good headphones, I enjoy every day the HD600
Old 7th January 2013, 04:22 PM   #44
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Just my opinion. Very good choice! But I'm Sennheiser guy. Now you will need some decent amp for it... HD650 are quite accurate so don't get something not too aggressive. If you like to listen loud, keep in mind that 650 are quite high Z which means you need somehow higher output voltage from amp to drive it properly. Again that's just my personal opinion and someone might disagree.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1273.jpg (821.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 7th January 2013, 04:30 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now you will need some decent amp for it... HD650 are quite accurate so don't get something not too aggressive.
I was thinking of building something on veroboard temporarily. I got plenty of compos i'm sure I can put something together. Any suggestions of a simple approach welcome.
Old 7th January 2013, 04:32 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I vote for tube.
Old 7th January 2013, 04:43 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I'm using SDS headphone amp. It might not be very best but it is cheap to build and it delivers plenty of power. If I remember correct I have to modify it slightly. I also tried Gyraf's tube amp but it's not working for me...and also Gyraf's HP amp which is also cheap and simple to build. SDS is more Hi-Fi and HP is mor ''studio''. Both work fine for me. Again just my personal experience and taste. I might have specific and corrupted taste as I'm mix-man living in London, not Hi-Fi enthusiast and I prefer to keep things simple.
If you need any additional info let me know. I might have even some spare pcb boards back at home.
Cheers
http://www.quadesl.com/pdf/hpart.pdf
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/hpamp/HP-Amp.pdf
http://gyraf.dk/tmp/Tube_headphoneamp.pdf
Old 7th January 2013, 05:02 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Gyraf is balanced? I count 8 tubes? do you know input/output impedance. gain & voltage swing?
Old 7th January 2013, 05:18 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Ok Thanks for these. i'll have a look.
Regarding tubes... not my field i'm afraid.

About the 650s. (which i just received).

Is the cable upgrade worth it?
Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 6ft Pure Cryo OCC Stranded Silver cable with 6.3mm | eBay

How long would you say need to burn-in? what kind of signal is best? I have some CDs used to burn-in (shape) speakers, do you think these would be appropriate?
Old 7th January 2013, 07:43 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Merlin!
That tube amp use only four tubes. Double triodes of course so that's 8 sections for stereo.
I have no idea about what you are asking and I'm unable to measure anythin due I left that amp at my home town. If you really want I can arrange something. If I remember correct there I have some problems with oscillations, and I really can't tell what I do about that. Maybe I install some grid stoppers? Who knows. I might have some spare boards if you want.
But. That amp can't drive HD650. At least not for me.
Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!