The DAO SE all-FET Class-A ZGF Headphone Amplifier - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 02:16 PM   #21
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
For performance.
Also bias is now lower (almost halved), so no need to use TO247.

Patrick
cool! I did wonder how you were coming up with the 15W figure; much lower than what I experienced lol, more appropriate for a headphone buffer. I have some newly received R125 that are destined for an F6, but I may throw them in a quick lash up of an all jfet version of the DAO for fun

I guess you tried the semisouth and decided against them for some reason, but thats no reason for me not to try them.

it really is an elegant circuit; kudos!
Old 14th December 2012, 02:26 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
for those DIYers not too lazy to reterminate their headphones, but too lazy to recable them?
no, for those that want to use a stock headphone cable AND stock termination on a balanced bridged amp.

Last edited by luvdunhill; 14th December 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 02:33 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

huh? how does that work, you bring ground out to an adapter? i'm confused, since i've not ever seen a stock headphone with a 5 pin XLR on it. or you are talking about using 2 x neutrik combo jacks? and 5 pin stands for 3 pin XLR + the 2 extra contacts needed to fill out the phono?
Old 14th December 2012, 02:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
huh? how does that work, you bring ground out to an adapter?
right. So, connect ground to one of the 5 pins on the amplifier jack, build an adaptor. The only way possible to connect a three wire headphone to a balanced bridged amp that allows use of stock cable and stock termination. I do that rather than add a second jack to the amp, for reasons stated above.

This way, dynamic 'phones don't have an "extra pin complex" over their electrostatic cousins

Last edited by luvdunhill; 14th December 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ah.. OK hmm. i'm at a loss for an opinion on that... (gasp, the crowd goes quiet )

me, I just recable the headphones as the path of least resistance...obviously =) and use 4 pin on everything Balanced or SE. Having a dedicated return for each driver is always beneficial IMO.

the DT1350 posted above are a result of that, they were the original single side entry/J-cable version modified for dual entry balanced. Doesnt help the fact that they are pathologically microphonic no matter what cable or sleeving is used...truly its unbelievable!

Last edited by qusp; 14th December 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:05 PM   #26
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen,

If you would like to start a discussion about headphone connectors and wiring, please kindly start a new thread.
I rather that we discuss the DAO circuitry here, if you don't mind.

Most sincere thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 14th December 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:48 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

fair enough.

I ended up using a jfet CCS in place of the CRD, as the alternative parts are in short supply at mouser and ridiculously priced at Farnell.

oh hang on, its listed as new stock at mouser E-452

when I was collecting parts it wasnt easy to come by and the 1N53XX were prohibitively expensive (still are at nearly $8 each)
Old 14th December 2012, 06:30 PM   #28
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

How does the temperature coefficient of a CCS JFET compare to the tempco of a dedicated CRD? Any idea?
Old 14th December 2012, 06:39 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I suppose it depends on how close to IDSS you are running the CCS, the tempco of any resistors used and of course the tempco of the specific jfet used etc. but no I dont know definitively; i'm sure Patrick does however.
Old 14th December 2012, 06:49 PM   #30
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I just realized that it doesn't really matter, as the ccs is simply used to feed a voltage reference Zener diode.
I suppose one could sub the Zener for a string of LEDs?

Hide this!Advertise here!