Any DIY/Upgrade Components Ideas for Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 HeadAmp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
spirey is offline spirey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any DIY/Upgrade Components Ideas for Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 HeadAmp?

Just got the Bravo Audio from eBay for $66. It sounds much better then the price might suggest. I noticed that the caps, resistors & the tube itself are all on the cheap side. It looks like it can be easily DIY replaced with better parts. Does anybody has any ideas?

The main reservoir capacitor is a Rubycon 6800uf, 25V. The output capacitors are no-name 1000uf, 25V. The tube is Shu Guang 12AU7.

Specs: Gain: 30dB; Frequency: 10Hz-60kHz +/- 0.25dB; S/N: >90dB. Input Sensitivity: 100mV; Input Impedance: 100KOhm
Output Impedance: 20~600 Ohm. Dynamic range: 84.6dBA @ 300 ohm, 89.8dBA @ 33 ohms. THD: 0.016% @ 300 ohms, 0.45% THD @ 33 ohms. 24v Power supply. By the way it looks really nice in the dark
Happy DIY & Listening, Ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bravo V2 Lights.jpg (18.8 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by spirey; 8th November 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added Specs
Old 10th November 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
JustFJ is offline JustFJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
for tube: you can replace them with Siemens 12AU7 or Mullard 12AU7
for output caps : elna silmicII 1000 uf 25volt
then you can listen the different n gud luck
Old 10th November 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thank You for good ideas - JustFJ

You gave me some good ideas JustFJ, thank you very much.

By any chance, do you know if I have to do anything else after I change the Tube? Because this little Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 does not have any bias adjustments. I know that most Tube gear has some adjustment to make the voltage perfect, and I think it also makes the Tube live longer.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

As far as i knew, the space on pcb this amp is very tight and the pcb copper trace is also thin ( very easy tear) so you need extra careful when you desoldering and change any parts coz i have it a while ago. You can install bias potentiometer on it but it will require space. For me, i dont want to touch(replace/change) too much on it since the trace are too thin. Also i found before, i tried to use Mazda 12ax7 tube on this amp and the sound is perfect detail and have extra gain.
Old 11th November 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Rock grotto guys have done lots of modding Bravo/ideal tube amps, there is a nice thread with circuit diagram and discussions in the diy section and the headphone amp bit. They even did their own amps of a similar design, which they supply for a price.
Old 11th November 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting - Mazda makes nice Cars and Nice Tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFJ View Post
As far as i knew, the space on pcb this amp is very tight and the pcb copper trace is also thin ( very easy tear) so you need extra careful when you desoldering and change any parts coz i have it a while ago. You can install bias potentiometer on it but it will require space. For me, i dont want to touch(replace/change) too much on it since the trace are too thin. Also i found before, i tried to use Mazda 12ax7 tube on this amp and the sound is perfect detail and have extra gain.
Old 11th November 2012, 11:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks - Dry Joint,
For the Rock gratto trend they really took this little amp seriously. It kept me reading plenty time. Cheers & God Save The Queen.
By the way check this (picture) out guys:

In raw terms the most expensive power amp HigherFi offers the Opera One goes for a discounted price of only $490,000 and for those who can afford and wants the best of the best for their music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opera1-open.jpg (61.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg opera1-powersupply.jpg (92.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 13th November 2012, 05:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow....huuuuuuge power amp and priceyyyy.....for myself, just happy with denon cdplayer -jadis orchestra -venture speaker or my phone sennheiser hd800

Hide this!Advertise here!