Convert Low V Aikido line stage to headphone use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a low voltage 6GM8 a few years ago. While I did build it myself, I basically followed instructions and never really felt the need to learn about design. The pre is as Broskie originally speculated, as this was from his original musings on the amp. Nothing else was done to improve it, none of the later changes are incorporated.

So anyway, this pre-amp currently has a 3.0uF output cap on it, and a 3.3 cap in the second slot unused. What is the simplest way to make this a headphone amp? Is it as easy as wiring in a jack instead of the output RCAs? Do I need a different value cap or what?

I currently have the output going into a tiny tube headphone amp that uses pencil tubes and a 9v battery, and again I couldn't tell you much about it.

As much as I've done with tube DIY I still feel like a noob.

Do I need a different value cap or what?

Depending on your headphone's impedance it should in fact be as easy as
replacing the output caps to a combined value of 47-470uF.

But I would also recommend to get your hands on the Aikido LV pdf by Broskie
since versions for line duty might differ slightly in parts values (apart from the
output caps) from the one for headphone duty.
;)

Thanks. I think I may have some high value caps around that aren't electrolytics. I'll give them a try and see how it sounds that way.

I'll give the latest Aikido schematics a look, but I'll be honest and say that sometimes Broskie goes over my head with options. I just want ONE way to build things, he gives you 10 ways to build it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.