A good Headphone Amp for AKG K240DF anybody? It's 88dB and 600ohm, Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Headphone Amp for the AKG K240DF can be Tube or Transistor.

Attachments

• AKG K240DF.jpg
    AKG K240DF.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 420
depends on how loud/how much headroom you think is needed

~110 dB max SPL before clipping is often fine, some audiophiles hold out for amps capable of driving thier headphones to 120 dB without clipping

for 88 dB 600 Ohms the 110 dB SPL mark requires ~ +/- 14 V, 23 mA - some "standard" monlithic op amps can reach these numbers but needs some care in choosing

to extend the max SPL before clipping to 120 dB requires ~ +/- 44 V, 73 mA - beyond the capabilities of standard op amps

least effort is to use audio power chip amps at this larger Vswing - still monolithic op amps but run from higher V supplies, come in power packages that can bolt to heatsinks

the output may be partially or completly Class A biased with a ccs or even simple added R to a rail

... Class A, Bridged, dual monobolcks...

Forums - Head-Fi.org Community is an enthusiast site - with a diy sub forum

www.Head-Case.org -the obligatory spin-off "opposition site" of those critcal of head-fi's fanboyism and reputed commercial slant

Headwize is inactive but archived at HeadWize Library - Projects

you can still read/search the design/build threads for several popular diy projects

some diy project collections - now getting dated but useful links:

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > Current DIY Headphone Amp Offerings

and

DIY projects, kits - Head-Fi.org Community

Last edited:
Thank you jcx.
* I wish I could build one with the specs you kindly recommend, but I'm only good with building speakers (amps at least for now - not yet).
* We should ask Nelson Pass to be kind enough and contribute a nice sounding Class-A Headphone Amp idea to the diyAudio Community. I'm probably not the only one that has difficult cans to drive. So many more music lovers are getting into Headphones these days, a secret we audiophiles knew many years ago.
Have a good weekend. Spirey

Last edited:
A Little 12AU7 Between Digital Audio & My Ears

Could not live without high-quality music for more then a few days, so my inner "audio equipment restless bug" got me on eBay... and I ended up with an Audioengine D1 ($169) that runs into a Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 Class-A output Tube HeadAmp ($66). They are running the AKG K240DF with plenty of authority. They grab the headphones by the balls, (-) a slight roll-off from about 40Hz. I found the V2 12AU7 to be a great addition with many useful possibilities. Happy Listening ...

Attachments

• AKG K240DF, Bravo 12AU7 & Audioengine D1.jpg
    AKG K240DF, Bravo 12AU7 & Audioengine D1.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 278
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.