Best headamp for Hifiman planars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Im owner of Hifiman HE5LE. Already have quite decent amp but I heard its not perfect match for it. All I could say about it its much better than Lovely Cube which is Lehman clone.
I read in many topics that these planars like a lot of current - many ppl use speaker amps for it and some even use 300W monoblocks ehh.
I dont know whats exactly truth, probably somewhere in the middle but I would like to make some tests. Unfortunately dont have any amps at home.
Maybe you could link me some chinese kits of headamps or amps generally which could "sound" good or have potential? Im afraid of chinese kits but theyre quite cheap (prob. for SQ reason ehh?) to give it a try.
Maybe some chipamps in AB class?
Maybe some DIYers have these quite demanding HP and could give me a hint where to search for experiments?
Thanks.

It's the low-impedance nature of the HE5LE (38 ohms) which is at the core of what makes it difficult to drive these headphones over their full range of dynamics. The relatively low sensitivity of the HE5SL (87.5 dB at 1 mW power input) also contributes to the problems of properly driving these planar-magnetic headphones. :D

Realistic SPL's (sound-pressure levels) values for fortissimo passages with a full orchestra (plus chorus) typically register around 110dB (peak) at front-section seats in the performance hall. Of course, rock concerts, with their massive sound-reinforcement systems, can exceed 120dB (peak) for front-row seating locations. So, realistic reproduction of the full dynamic range of music performances would require a headphone-amplifier power-output level at least 32.5 dB above the specified 87.5 dB at 1 mW power input for the HE5LE headphones. Bottom-line; you'd want to target headphone-amplifiers that can provide at least 1.6W (1600mW) RMS of output power into the 38-ohm load in order to avoid dynamic compression; that's sufficient current-drive to directly power a number of higher-senstivity loudspeakers... ;)

That's probably why HiFiMan's own EF-6 headphone-amplifier (http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=116) is specified as delivering a power-output level of Class-A 5W at 50 Ohms. :cool:

Last edited:
My headamp can provide 1800mW for 32 Ohm - it should be something around "needed" power for HE5LE. On the other side I noticed that many ppl (including Hifiman) state that more power is better. I dont want to spend 1500 USD for EF6 to test it:p
Im looking for some kit or anything that will be quite powerful and gives very good SQ - I assume it could be amplifier not dedicated for headphones only.
People also mention that plugging it into such powerful headamps like EF6 or Schiit Lyr is still worse in SQ than plugging it straight into speaker taps... I wonder whats the logic and wheres the truth.

Last edited:
Zibra,

I share your amplification concerns; I have the HiFiMan HE-6 planar dynamic headphones (as well as some DIY orthodynamic headphones which present an even uglier amplifier load; ~4-ohms, 93 dB 2.83V/1m).

My current DIY high-performance headphone amp is a design predicated upon using an eBay-sourced PCB which implement's John Curl's JC-80 design (All FET class A preamplifier JC-80 PCB ! | eBay). The board even includes on-board capacitance-multipliers as a final stage of power-supply processing. Be aware that this circuit (like many contemporary high-end audio designs) employs out-of-production, low-noise, "unobtainium"-based Toshiba JFET's (as well as the low-noise Toshiba MOSFET's in the capacitance multipliers); sourcing the BOM (bill of materials) parts-list can be challenging... :D

The power-supply is critical to the degree of sonic neutrality which can be realized in the final results. I'm achieving excellent results using the all-FET, low-noise, super-shunt regulator based on a design by Erno Borbely; the PCB can be sourced from eBay (All FET low-noise super shunt regulator PCB Borbely ! | eBay); again, be aware that this circuit also employs out-of-production, low-noise, "unobtainium"-based Toshiba JFET's. You'll need to increase the regulated output voltage from +/- 15VDC to +/- 30VDC in order to power the JC-80 PCB, so you'll need to have sufficient design chops to properly alter the feedback network for the increased output voltage... ;)

However, a carefully-configured implementation (with sufficient heatsinking of the output Fairchild MOSFET's to allow pure Class-A operation up to 5 watt output) can be quite musically-satisfying. :cool:

BTW, I did listen to the HE-6 headphones with the prototype of the HiFiMan EF-6 at RMAF 2011 last fall and the sound quality was excellent... :)

Attachments

• JC-80-Sch-v3.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Borbely-all-FET-shunt-regulator-Sch.pdf
    26.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Where's your sense of DIY adventure? :D

Realizing the full sonic potential of the HiFiMan HE-5LE's requires a headphone-amplifier with a high degree of power and finesse; that's not going to possible with some low-cost, IC-based design. Other than the JC-80-based headphone-amplifier that I described, the next-best result that I've heard is the HiFiMan EF-6 (despite what some whiners have espoused as their opinion...).

The only other option that I've personally auditioned was a buddy's Transcendent Sound T16 OTL (output-transformerless) tube-amplifier (http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_T16_OTL_Tube_Amp.html); definitely "in the hunt" from a sonics standpoint, but it costs more than the HiFiMan EF-6, even in kit form (15W/Channel stereo kit with all tubes): $1699.00! ;-)

Good luck in your hunt! :cool:

Last edited:
Lets do some quick maths for the HE-5LE's to hit various spl;

120dB - 1778mW or 8.22VRMS
115dB - 562mW or 4.62VRMS
110dB - 177mW or 2.6VRMS
105dB - 56mW or 1.45VRMS

You need to decide how loud you want to go. My two headphone amps are set to give 110dB, but I only go upto 60% volume so could get away with a lower 105dB set-up for comfortable/loud listening.

Something like the Objective2 could be used if you were happy with a 110dB level, it can provide about 400mW per channel. I think most commercial desktop headphone amps would allow for 115dB, but hitting 120dB does narrow the market down...

Paul

But... Having enough power to hit the highs is only part of the story. A low output impedance (think <1 Ohm) for proper dampning of the the headphones. Then noise, distortion & frequency performance to suit your personal listening preferences.

Looks like your current headphone amp can drive the HE-5LE's to painfull levels, does it go loud enough for you? Are you happy with the way it sounds?

My amp has 0,1 Ohm at the output. I normally listen to it at 11 oclock from 7-17 range. Volume goes fast then at 11 is very loud. Very small dustortion even at higher volume.
I just dont know if its really enough or there are some hidden parameters that HP love more current and can sound even better. Or its just so transparent amp that adds nothing while people like colouration and some looseness from powerful and less well made speakers amps?

I think it's more that people like their music with a touch of coloration, and less there being some hidden factor that'll make the 5's sparkle.

If they're being driven properly with enough power for some head-room and with a decent amount of dampening. Then the only thing you can really do is subtract from that... It's just deciding if that's the way you want to go :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I dont want to sound "smart" but has it enough power to drive HE5LE? Pple above made nice math to show what kind of power these HP need to sound on its full potential.
On the other hand has anyone heard about such amp?:

Sicphones: A high end Silicon Carbide headphone amplifier by Colin Shaw — Kickstarter

What are exactly those silicon carbide transistors? Can I use them also in Marsh headamp? I only heard that Nelson Pass uses it but not sure...

Zibra,

Static Induction Transistors (SiT's) are a relatively new genre of solid-state gain devices which offer transfer-function characteristics similar to those of triode vacuum-tube devices. As you noted, Nelson Pass is among the first noted audio designer to invest in the production of suitable SiT's for audio-reproduction purposes. These devices cannot be just substituted for more conventional solid-state devices on a "drop-in" basis; instead, the circuit must be tailored to the devices in order to exploit their "special" characteristics... ;)

Richard Marsh is a retired key researcher in High Energy Physics R&D at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and a published member of IEEE and AES. He recently published his "diamond" topology-based headphone amplifier design in Volume 3 of Jan Didden's "Linear Audio" bookzine (www.linearaudio.net - home). I'm a bit behind on my audio-design journal reading, so I haven't read the article as yet, but the abstract illustrates a simple/elegant topology which could be built in a "bridged" configuration to easily drive balanced-drive headphones such as the HiFiMan planar magnetics... :D

Just my $0.02's worth... :cool:

Zibra,

Agreed, not everyone has the background to comfortably start with schematics and implement the offered designs as a usable audio component. If that's where your needs/skills are currently, then how much of a complete, Heathkit-like solution do you require? Can you mount PCB's in a chassis (drill some holes, mount some PCB standoffs and bolt-in the PCB's)? :confused:

If limited chassis fabrication is within your skill range, the you could combine Richard Marsh's head-phone amplifier PCB's (available from Linear Audio) with general-purpose power-supply PCB's from the DIYaudio forum's store (Boards) and a chassis from a DIYaudio vendor (such as Chassis/Case). Drill a few holes to mount the PCB's, power transformers and jacks & controls and you're there... :cool:

As I noted earlier, my HiFiMan planar magnetics sounded incredibly transparent and musically-consonant when driven by a buddy's Transcendent Sound T16 OTL (output-transformerless) vacuum-tube stereo amplifier. Transcendent Sound offers their new "Mini Beast" OTL vacuum-tube stereo amplifer in a full-Kit form without tubes for $799USD! Same fundamental circuit topology as the T16, but scaled-down to deliver 4Watts/channel, which would be just about perfect for the HE5LE's. :D

Again, just my $0.02's worth... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.