Best Earbud (not earplug) headphones to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AKG K311 WOW!

The AKG are designed to make a seal but don't give that "flu" feeling at all.
And they're almost big enough to make Lieutenant Uhura jealous.
But the sound is amazing and there's more than enough super low bass plenty loud. They also sound like what I'd expect from AKG, a sort of "everything pretty all the time." Well, except for the seal that's exactly what I wanted in earbuds. Remarkably for $30, these headphones play in high resolution stereo with spacious and differentiated imaging.

You can set the AKG for regular earbud sound, or "lift" them a bit to engage the rubber seal. Caveat: Their gigantic bass is actually reliant on the seal. However, even a partial seal brings on the big bass. It is more about holding the right angle than making a perfect seal; so, sinus infect symptoms are Not required. Good job.

If no seal, the winners are from hisound audio, the pro (just for jammin out) and live (with imaging). And there are well performing earbuds from other manufacturers at higher price points.

The surprise though is the AKG from $20 to $30. Wow, big performance, wallet intact. Thanks AKG!!

Having wanted a pair of ear buds that don't create a full seal, or work as ear plugs do, I decided to buy a pair of the K311s based off of Daniel's review of everything pretty all the time.

They certainly do sound nice and offer a decent amount of clarity, but as said, do require a bit of EQ to sound properly balanced. Of course the amount of EQ would be largely dependent on how much of a seal they make with your ears. For me there is very little seal, which is actually preferred as it allows me to hear what's going on around me, but like that they do need a 5-6dB shelf to add in some warmth. If I push them into my ears then crazy bass comes on, so the end results do very much depend on your ears.

For me though, they are just a little bit too big so they push on some parts of my ears a bit too much which causes my ears to become a little bit tender where the plugs have been pushing against. This may change over time, but apart from that they are definitely worth the low asking price, which was only £14.99 direct from AKG, that including tax and shipping.

@5th Element,
I found much the same results that you did. AKG's attempt at providing their branded sound worked fairly well for earbuds, but thankfully not totally successful, so the end result is fairly realistic. But the ear positioning of Lieutenant Uhura's earbuds gives either underwhelm or overdo on bass, and needs an eq either way. Good value though.

I got a bit better results with the Hisound Audio PAA1 Pro and Live; however, those are both smaller and more expensive than the AKG.

That's interesting. The Bose look to be in the same category as the AKG--can make a seal or almost a seal (if imperfect seal, then less bass than hisoundaudio pro, live), without giving you that flu/ear-blockage sensation.

This type is a half measure that works just fine, and I'm glad to see them increase the number of available selections that provide good bass without feeling like the flu.

Which MP3 player has discrete levels EQ?

Instead of repeatedly buying different earbuds until one matches up with "Rock" "Jazz" "Pop" "Classic" presets, which good sounding mp3 player has onboard 5+ band EQ? And, which of those can boost with the bass slider without causing excessive boomy midbass?

If you answer this question with reasonable success, you'll be my hero. :D

P.S.
I'm not proposing to use this equipment instead of hi-fi amps and speakers; however, if you have a great room house (idiotic lack of walls, barn-like design that probably increases divorce rate) with family tuned into the TV, overtaking the majority of the house with TV audio and wasting at least one hi-fi setup for it, then the locations of hi-fi amps and speakers may be in the garage with no heat or in the spare room, or possibly even the car. However, to get some music replay in the majority of a "great room" house (despite the unstoppable TV), there's the Mp3 player and the earbuds that let you hear and socialize just fine whenever you hit pause.

Pick up an iPod Touch or iPhone and download the EQu app for a portable, parametric-like equalizer. There maybe be some better equalizer apps out now, so you might want to search around some more. I've been using this one for a couple years, though, and it does an amazing job.

I have the Bose, I think the same model. Don't like them. I don't have much to compare with, I am used to better sealing in ears, but all sound seems a little anaemic. They feel like they should seal, but don't, fit with difficulty and lack impact. The bass I ok, but overall fall flat IMO. Keep in mind I have little to compare to, soy expectations may be off.

Instead of repeatedly buying different earbuds until one matches up with "Rock" "Jazz" "Pop" "Classic" presets, which good sounding mp3 player has onboard 5+ band EQ? And, which of those can boost with the bass slider without causing excessive boomy midbass?

:hohoho:

I have the Sansa Clip+ and with the RockBox firmware installed you get a 5 band parametric eq (as well as your regular bass/treble and presets):

Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

rockbox eq.png

Oh, yeah ... Rockbox also has a configurable cross-feed filter!!! :cool:

Rockbox works with many portables, here's the 'rock solid' list!

Apple: iPod 1g through 5.5g, iPod Mini, iPod Nano 1g
Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
iriver: iHP100 series, H100 series, H300 series and H10 series
MPIO: HD300
Packard Bell: Vibe 500
SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series, Fuze, Clip and Clip+
Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series

And less stable:

Apple: iPod Nano 2g
Cowon: D2
HiFiMAN: HM-601, HM-602, HM-603, HM-801
MPIO: HD200
Olympus: M:Robe 500, M:robe 100
Philips: GoGear SA9200, GoGear HDD16x0 and HDD63x0
Samsung: YP-R0, YH-820, YH-920 and YH-925
SanDisk: Sansa Fuze+ and Sansa Clip Zip
Toshiba: Gigabeat S

And if you're unfamiliar with "Q" or the other parameters, you could use another para eq program to visualize your parameter choices.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
I hope one of Daniel's players is on the solid list!

If so, he's gonna have fun re-evaluating all his headphones!

(And if you can't run RockBox, I can attest that the Sansa Clip+ is a good little player: can still find locally, cheap, stable RockBox, microSD slot--you can get super cheap microSDs now and I've got 2x 32G microSD of FLAC that I can switch between!)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.