Best Earbud (not earplug) headphones to buy? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2012, 01:59 PM   #31
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabdx View Post
Ah yes, sorry!, I don't know then, I never like any.. maybe look at the IE2 from Bose, it has nice features such as a port / replaceable tips.
Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones
Looks interesting.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:35 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

That's interesting. The Bose look to be in the same category as the AKG--can make a seal or almost a seal (if imperfect seal, then less bass than hisoundaudio pro, live), without giving you that flu/ear-blockage sensation.

This type is a half measure that works just fine, and I'm glad to see them increase the number of available selections that provide good bass without feeling like the flu.
Old 13th October 2012, 09:14 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Which MP3 player has discrete levels EQ?

Instead of repeatedly buying different earbuds until one matches up with "Rock" "Jazz" "Pop" "Classic" presets, which good sounding mp3 player has onboard 5+ band EQ? And, which of those can boost with the bass slider without causing excessive boomy midbass?

If you answer this question with reasonable success, you'll be my hero.

P.S.
I'm not proposing to use this equipment instead of hi-fi amps and speakers; however, if you have a great room house (idiotic lack of walls, barn-like design that probably increases divorce rate) with family tuned into the TV, overtaking the majority of the house with TV audio and wasting at least one hi-fi setup for it, then the locations of hi-fi amps and speakers may be in the garage with no heat or in the spare room, or possibly even the car. However, to get some music replay in the majority of a "great room" house (despite the unstoppable TV), there's the Mp3 player and the earbuds that let you hear and socialize just fine whenever you hit pause.
Old 13th October 2012, 09:18 PM   #34
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

This little video has one companies take on why some have problems with canal-phones and their solution, an auto inflating seal, never tried them though.

Rgds
James
Old 24th January 2013, 09:37 AM   #35
macro2 is offline macro2  United States
diyAudio Member

Pick up an iPod Touch or iPhone and download the EQu app for a portable, parametric-like equalizer. There maybe be some better equalizer apps out now, so you might want to search around some more. I've been using this one for a couple years, though, and it does an amazing job.
Old 24th January 2013, 12:46 PM   #36
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the Bose, I think the same model. Don't like them. I don't have much to compare with, I am used to better sealing in ears, but all sound seems a little anaemic. They feel like they should seal, but don't, fit with difficulty and lack impact. The bass I ok, but overall fall flat IMO. Keep in mind I have little to compare to, soy expectations may be off.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:24 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=danielwritesbac;3200365]Instead of repeatedly buying different earbuds until one matches up with "Rock" "Jazz" "Pop" "Classic" presets, which good sounding mp3 player has onboard 5+ band EQ? And, which of those can boost with the bass slider without causing excessive boomy midbass?

I have the Sansa Clip+ and with the RockBox firmware installed you get a 5 band parametric eq (as well as your regular bass/treble and presets):

Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

rockbox eq.png

Oh, yeah ... Rockbox also has a configurable cross-feed filter!!!

Rockbox works with many portables, here's the 'rock solid' list!

Apple: iPod 1g through 5.5g, iPod Mini, iPod Nano 1g
Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
iriver: iHP100 series, H100 series, H300 series and H10 series
MPIO: HD300
Packard Bell: Vibe 500
SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series, Fuze, Clip and Clip+
Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series

And less stable:

Apple: iPod Nano 2g
Cowon: D2
HiFiMAN: HM-601, HM-602, HM-603, HM-801
MPIO: HD200
Olympus: M:Robe 500, M:robe 100
Philips: GoGear SA9200, GoGear HDD16x0 and HDD63x0
Samsung: YP-R0, YH-820, YH-920 and YH-925
SanDisk: Sansa Fuze+ and Sansa Clip Zip
Toshiba: Gigabeat S

And if you're unfamiliar with "Q" or the other parameters, you could use another para eq program to visualize your parameter choices.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 24th January 2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

^ I second rockbox... great software. Funny I just read Daniels post from October before reading the above and immediately thought of rockbox.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:56 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

I hope one of Daniel's players is on the solid list!

If so, he's gonna have fun re-evaluating all his headphones!

(And if you can't run RockBox, I can attest that the Sansa Clip+ is a good little player: can still find locally, cheap, stable RockBox, microSD slot--you can get super cheap microSDs now and I've got 2x 32G microSD of FLAC that I can switch between!)

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 24th January 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 24th January 2013, 11:09 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thank you for this news!
Some of the more open sounding headphones have either not quite enough low end or a kink in the mids, so it seems like this RockBox firmware may help matters considerably.

Hide this!Advertise here!