Best Earbud (not earplug) headphones to buy? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 11:13 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default AKG K311 WOW!

The AKG are designed to make a seal but don't give that "flu" feeling at all.
And they're almost big enough to make Lieutenant Uhura jealous.
But the sound is amazing and there's more than enough super low bass plenty loud. They also sound like what I'd expect from AKG, a sort of "everything pretty all the time." Well, except for the seal that's exactly what I wanted in earbuds. Remarkably for $30, these headphones play in high resolution stereo with spacious and differentiated imaging.

You can set the AKG for regular earbud sound, or "lift" them a bit to engage the rubber seal. Caveat: Their gigantic bass is actually reliant on the seal. However, even a partial seal brings on the big bass. It is more about holding the right angle than making a perfect seal; so, sinus infect symptoms are Not required. Good job.

If no seal, the winners are from hisound audio, the pro (just for jammin out) and live (with imaging). And there are well performing earbuds from other manufacturers at higher price points.

The surprise though is the AKG from $20 to $30. Wow, big performance, wallet intact. Thanks AKG!!
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:26 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear your report.

Now, we just have to get someone to measure the things.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:19 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

After several days. . . I discover that the hisound audio paa1 pro and live have a more laid back presentation. The AKG is somewhat more reliant on awkward angle, placement and eq. The one that I can crank up louder for a longer time is the hisound.
Old 7th October 2012, 05:11 PM   #24
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

My impressions with the EarPod.
Augene - Hear the real thing!: Apple EarPods, Right and Wrong Design Considerations, Listening Impressions
Old 7th October 2012, 06:00 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Having wanted a pair of ear buds that don't create a full seal, or work as ear plugs do, I decided to buy a pair of the K311s based off of Daniel's review of everything pretty all the time.

They certainly do sound nice and offer a decent amount of clarity, but as said, do require a bit of EQ to sound properly balanced. Of course the amount of EQ would be largely dependent on how much of a seal they make with your ears. For me there is very little seal, which is actually preferred as it allows me to hear what's going on around me, but like that they do need a 5-6dB shelf to add in some warmth. If I push them into my ears then crazy bass comes on, so the end results do very much depend on your ears.

For me though, they are just a little bit too big so they push on some parts of my ears a bit too much which causes my ears to become a little bit tender where the plugs have been pushing against. This may change over time, but apart from that they are definitely worth the low asking price, which was only 14.99 direct from AKG, that including tax and shipping.
Old 7th October 2012, 11:14 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

@5th Element,
I found much the same results that you did. AKG's attempt at providing their branded sound worked fairly well for earbuds, but thankfully not totally successful, so the end result is fairly realistic. But the ear positioning of Lieutenant Uhura's earbuds gives either underwhelm or overdo on bass, and needs an eq either way. Good value though.

I got a bit better results with the Hisound Audio PAA1 Pro and Live; however, those are both smaller and more expensive than the AKG.
Old 13th October 2012, 01:42 AM   #27
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I found the sennheiser hd600 good for bass and midrange, could be way more airy and detailed in high frequency... I use it. I can't complain for bass. it is non fatiguing.

http://gabdx.webs.com/DACG/DSCN2184.jpg
Old 13th October 2012, 01:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Well yes, I've got a pair of HD650s and they are excellent, but they ain't exactly practical on the move, which is why ear buds are being discussed
Old 13th October 2012, 01:54 AM   #29
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ah yes, sorry!, I don't know then, I never like any.. maybe look at the IE2 from Bose, it has nice features such as a port / replaceable tips.
Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones
Old 13th October 2012, 02:37 AM   #30
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Just bought the Sennheiser CX-300 earbuds at Frys for $59 and have to say for what they are I'm quite pleased.

Hide this!Advertise here!