M-stage Op amp replacement (for the better)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Gents,

I currently employ an LM4562 Op amp in my headphone amplifier, a Matrix M-stage (v. 2.1) Matrix m stage Headphone Amplifier Amp Black color /Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp- [Matrix m-stage] - $268.00 : Welcome to Matrix Electronics matrix-mini Matrix m-stage Matrix cube DAC headphone amp.

The LM4562 has replaced the original part, an OPA2134 and I find I like the sound better with it. So it stayed.

I still wish to try some more Op-amps in that circuit and make my pick. This is partly due to curiosity and partly to a quest for more analysis in the higher audio register that I finf the LM4562 lacking…

I understand that matching an Op amp to a given circuit is a serious issue to consider in order to squeeze the best result out of the two.

But I lack the technical knowledge to make potent choices…

Could you please help by suggesting possible replacements (either dual or single ended chips to be used in pairs) that could replace the LM4562 and offer different/ better sound?

For your information, the amplifier drives a pair of AKG K601 headphones and its gain is set to 10db.

Thank you so much in advance!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Different sound eh... try the OPA2604 and the wild card of the Excalibur TLE2072

The 2604 is probably one of the most "coloured" (but we are talking subtleties and coloured in a good way) and has been a firm favourite of mine for many years. The distortion spectrum of the 2604 is supposed to favour (by design) even harmonics which are the most pleasing to the ear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.