Just made o2 amps, now what? :) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2012, 09:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just made o2 amps, now what? :)

I need a new project, just finished 2x o2 amps and now I want to build more

I like the DIY kits, and o2 been great building. You got a good detailed blog from the author and many places to buy kits. But is there any other amps like the o2, with good descriptions and easy to buy?
Old 16th August 2012, 04:37 PM   #2
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlong View Post
I need a new project, just finished 2x o2 amps and now I want to build more

I like the DIY kits, and o2 been great building. You got a good detailed blog from the author and many places to buy kits. But is there any other amps like the o2, with good descriptions and easy to buy?
Take a look at AMB's beta22 amp: The β22 Stereo Amplifier and mini^3 amp: The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier

also the fellow who designed the O2 is working on a desktop version due out Real Soon Now NwAvGuy: Objective Desktop Amp (ODA) & DAC
Old 17th August 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Indeed the Beta22 is a fun build and a big step up in the level of effort required. For extra difficulty/fun you can have the amp and power supply in separate enclosures. It is a lot more expensive though - I've just had a dig through some old costings and you are looking at (for a 3 channel amp and 1 PSU in separate enclosures) anything from £450 to £550 depending on how fancy you want to get with custom made front panels and the like.

The Mini^3 might be a bit of a side step?

A fair bit of controversy, mainly started by NwAvGuy, surrounding AMB stuff though. NwAvGuy's measurements of AMB stuff tended to suggest that the AMB figures were rather optimistically good.

If you haven't played with tubes, the 'Bijou' from www.cavalliaudio.com is a good start. Of course, very high voltages involved so potentially very, very dangerous.

Between AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site and Pete Millett's DIY Audio pages you should be able to stay fairly busy!

Last edited by olli1324; 17th August 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Got some names wrong!
Old 17th August 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Well you can build the beta or mini^3 and measure the performance. That'd be great contribution to the internet.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That would certainly make for an interesting project.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Never even heard of it before. I'd be tempted by something more challenging though!

Also, for that kind of money I'd also expect an Alps RK27 rather than what appears to be an RK097..
Old 21st August 2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Mull3t is online now Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

I think a nice step up from the O2 is the Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid. Interest for this amp is fairly common and when enough interest is generated a group buy for PCBs usually ensues. You can find more info in the Head-fi DIY forum. I think a group buy is going to happen soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!