Amp between Xonar D1 and Audio Technica ATH-M50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think i should get an amplifier for my new headphones, and since i have worked quite a bit with electronics im considering building it myself. However, i want to know that i choose a design that outperforms a finished product in the same price range.

Which of the following options is the most cost-effective way to get a good quality amplifier:

1) Buy a Fiio E5 for £16,-
2) Buy a kit. f.eks this one: E3 headphone amplifier kit+UPC1237 Protection WLX-4 | eBay
3) Find a schematic and build the amp from scratch.

I'll really appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

My opinion:
1) you won't learn anything or be able to say "I built that!" but it won't take long before you are listening to your music.
2) You will learn how to build a kit and be able say "I built that!"
3) You will learn how to design ( or adapt a design) and how it works and be able to say "I built that !"

Have fun

I guess your right. But i dont have the time or money to experiment unfortunatly, so it would have to be a tested and complete design.

Anyone knows if the ebay-kits are any good? I would prefer to build it myself, but not if it leads to inferior quality compared to a similar priced finished product.

I have now spent some time listening to the ath-m50, and i find the sound excellent, but i miss something in the bass-area. There's just too little punch.

I have read that the O2 has a bit thin sound character as well, so i need an alternative that will suit the ath-m50's better. Cmoy maybe? Or some other ebay-kit.

I am saving to buy the ath-m50's. I built the O2 so I will be using it to power the m50's. I also have 2 Jds labs cmoy's. One is specifically configured for low impedence (Grado's) and the other is standard. I realize this thread is almost 2 months old, but give the DIY version of the Jds labs cmoy a shot. Outstanding for the price. Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.