Quick CMOY Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a CMOY headphone amplifier (I would've built it myself, but I have some health issues currently preventing me from building it, and I was able to buy it pretty close to the cost of the parts). I really like the sound of it, but using a 9 V battery for something that won't leave my desk seems like a waste of batteries. If I connect the 9 V battery terminals to a DC power jack and buy a regulated wall power supply, will that safely power the amp?
Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response guys! Will something like this do, or will I need something that can supply more current:

Amazon.com: Wall Adapter Power Supply - 9V DC 650mA: Electronics

I will definitely insulate the wires inside (it is the metal mint can).

I did think about putting it inside my computer. That would work beautifully as far as output goes, as I could drill a hole for each component in the 5.25 bay, but that might make the input a little tricky. Then again, I probably could disconnect the front input jack, and splice the wires with the input into the headphone amplifier. What do you guys think?

I think putting it in the computer case might be a mistake, the tin of the cmoy typically carries the virtual ground, you could very easily short the metal of the tin to the metal of the computer case which will be at the powersupply earth. The rail splitter will then let out the magic smoke :)

I was under the impression that the CMOY amp has two 9 volt batteries in series for a nominal 18V between the positive and negative. If yours is running on a single battery, then the wall-wort has more than enough power capability. If it is powered by two batteries, then you might opt for a higher voltage (i.e. 18V). However, 9V should be enough unless you have very low sensitivity headphones, which I doubt. Depending on the op-amp in your amplifier and the voltage rating of the capacitors, you should have a very wide range of voltage options that would work.

I think putting it in the computer case might be a mistake, the tin of the cmoy typically carries the virtual ground, you could very easily short the metal of the tin to the metal of the computer case which will be at the powersupply earth. The rail splitter will then let out the magic smoke :)

That's a good point; I didn't think about the virtual ground. I picked up a DC Jack from RadioShack just now, and after examining the jack, it looks like the whole chassis is supposed to be the earth ground! I also picked up some rubber grommets, but it looks like it will be way too big with the grommets, as there's only about half an inch on the sides of the case. Are there any small, fully insulated DC power jacks? Edit: nevermind, found one.

I thought about USB power, but I'm worried this will need a little more juice.

That's good to know that there is a wide voltage range. Makes picking out a power supply a lot easier.

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Last edited:
USB runs at 3.5 to 5V and 500mA, if I am not mistaken. If you wanted it into the computer, could you use a rubber mat to insulate the tin case, or make a rubber sleeve for it?

The insulation would work I believe. Would 5 V/500 mA be enough power though?

That's a good idea with the capacitor. While I had the power jack from RadioShack, I temporarily hooked it up with some alligator clips to some different power supplies, and there was a lot of noise and hum. So I will try that capacitor and maybe the resistor and see how it is!

Thanks guys! When that power jack comes in, I will let you guys know what combination works well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.