Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2012, 05:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
I wouldn't use the output from a power cube without a smoothing cap, op-amps have excellent power supply rejection but won't be able to reject the output of a bridge rectifier without smoothing .

For a simple single supply C-Moy amplifier I'd use a 1000uF cap for smoothing. Perhaps being fed in series with a 4R7 resistor for extra smoothing.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:50 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodegarius View Post
USB runs at 3.5 to 5V and 500mA, if I am not mistaken. If you wanted it into the computer, could you use a rubber mat to insulate the tin case, or make a rubber sleeve for it?
The insulation would work I believe. Would 5 V/500 mA be enough power though?

That's a good idea with the capacitor. While I had the power jack from RadioShack, I temporarily hooked it up with some alligator clips to some different power supplies, and there was a lot of noise and hum. So I will try that capacitor and maybe the resistor and see how it is!

Thanks guys! When that power jack comes in, I will let you guys know what combination works well.
Old 1st August 2012, 08:19 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

In a cmoy the voltage is split so 5V would give rail voltages of 2.5v which would be very low for most chips.

You could use a simple voltage doubler (NE555) and follow it with a 10R and 10000uF RC filter which should clean it up enough

Hide this!Advertise here!