Wow daughter asks dad for help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,
Thought I'd check in to see if anyone has low budget headphone suggestions. My daughter is headed for college in a couple of weeks and actually asked her dad for a little help finding a pair of head phones..... Big :)

Her words; dad, I know you can help me find something that sounds better they just need to be stylish, don't want those big clunky things. She is paying and I'd like to keep her under $100. Looks like Grado has addressed this market with their "iGrado at $49.

Other suggestions that might fit the bill?
Thanks,
Marko

iGrados sound like the way to go (no pun intended). Whatever you do, stay away from Beats by Dr. Dre as they are overpriced and have very poor frequency response and usually sound very muddy (to use non technical audiophile adjectives). I have Grado SR60s and SR325is and from the quality of reproduction I've had from those, I think I can safely say that with Grados you'll be getting pretty awesome value for money.

igrado, like all grados.. leak sound in both directions. if she wants to be able to use them in the library, or even on the bus, they are not the best choice. she will hear the bus and the bus will hear her music, the library will not appreciate it.

let me have a look, I actually think earbuds are her best choice. I have like 4 pairs of IEMs, but all over that budget (2 pairs more than 10x that budget) so i'll have to look for her, i'll check it out tonight.

the most subjective item in HiFi, why not go shopping with your daughter :)

Koss PortaPro can range from retro-cool to really ugly, but sounds great for the price.
The ksc series clip-ons might be safer in this respect.

Is she planning on using them at home or are they meant to be portable?

I have found I like open backed headphones. I know some people like closed headphones, that's for them and we have different opinion's but even at home I want to hear ambient sounds and not feel deaf, I feel the sound is better and especially its also much safer with for portable headphones.

I used to have Koss PortaPro's and indeed they do sound revealing at first and unpleasant after long periods of listening (30 + mins). The highs are very bright, not good for young people who still have high frequency healing.

I auditioned, and bought Sennheiser PX 100-II after seeing a review in a HiFi mag (while waiting for a train) they are currently what I recommend as portable headphones. The price is in range, and rather than being a design throwback to "build to cost 80's design", the Sennheiser PX 100-II looks typical German design, black with some clever design.

So far simply for having only one cable, rather than the cheap and nasty Y cable catching in doors, has meant the Sennheiser PX 100-II have outlasted the Koss PortaPro which has had 3 repairs (even with 1 shop repair and 4 weeks waiting for a solder repair!).

For home listening many headphones sound better and can benefit on comfort at the expense of stability, many also sound worse for no reason I can see.

I think Headphones are the most subjective item in HiFi, why not go shopping with your daughter :)

Regards

Owen

Thanks everyone for your input!
We did go out and listen to 6-8 pairs yesterday, nothing sounded great in this price range ….not a big surprise. Didn’t have a chance to hear the iGrado’s, maybe tomorrow.
I have tried to get her to consider ear buds, but no luck. “Dad they just hurt my ears and fall out”…. okay sweetheart…. (have finally learned which battles to pick).
Plan to check out several your suggestions, might be a sweet deal in Canada, will see if we can find this model in town tomorrow.
Thanks again for taking the time to chime in.
Kindest,
Marko

if they hurt her ears and fall out shes trying the wrong ones, i'm talking about IEMs, a different thing to earbuds but I used the term as not everyone knows what IEMs are (In Ear Monitors). I could wear (and have done) my westone UM3X (nevermind my customs which are as you would expect, perfectly fitted) all day and sleep on my side without pressure.

but I get choosing your battles, though IEMs will save her ears in the long run as less volume is required. I bet shes thinking about the apple ibuds, possibly the crappiest headphones on the planet, they hurt my ears and fall out as well.

anyway that really limits your options for non-fugly cheap and good, as over ear headphones are much more visible and most in this price range that doesnt look ugly, or like a dj headphone, is style over substance.

I would have to concur with the PX200, i've started putting together a shortlist at headphones.com for you that i'll finish tonight (68 pages to sort through), those and some shures are all in that range ive added so far. its unfortunate not that many places will let you try IEMs at the shop, I guess due to health regulations. because I really think she would be very surprised.

PX200 really sound best with an amp

Thanks qusp!
Looking forward to checking out the list. I think you're right on the buds, not familiar with IEM's, plan to take a look and see if she's interested. I'll also check into the PX200.

My wife and I had a grand time with a group of "Aussie's", that were in the states for an event a few years back....Oi, oi,oi.....guessing you know the rest....
Kindest,
Marko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.