Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A bit of DIY advice required

I attach below a copy of a Borbely headphone/line amp design. What I cant understand (and I am probably being stupid) is how the P Channel common source mosfet Q2 is fully biased into operation.

The class A standing current form the constant current source Q3 is 10mA. That gives 2v across the 200 ohm source resistor into Q2. That gives the source of Q2 source sitting at 24-2v=22v.

Now the ECC86 valve is operated at 2.35mA per side, which gives 1.17 volts across each 499 ohm resistor in the current mirror. Add 0.6V for a base emitter junction and I see the Gate of Q2 sitting at 24-1.17-0.6=22.23 volts.

So that gives a gate to source voltage of just 0.23volts, yet the 2sj79 takes around 2.5 volts to be fully switched on.

So my question, to anyone kind enough to help me is why does Q2 function. Is it correctly biased and if so, please explain to me how.

Many thanks
John
Attached Images
File Type: gif opamp4.gif (7.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 11th July 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You've forgotten the triode end of things, the voltage on the collector of that mirror is determined by the operating point (dc condition) the 6GM8 diff pair establishes in order to close the feedback loop and drive the output to 0Vdc.
Old 11th July 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
The mistake is to consider only .6V in Q1. If the case, the transistor is saturated, and can't no longer act as wanted. (linear mode).
Old 11th July 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

there are spice models for tubes too - you can sim the whole amp, poke at the sim
Old 12th July 2012, 06:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks to those for their input - never thought to model the circuit. I will do that.

Hide this!Advertise here!