CMoy Ahoy! Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First post and first problem!

Have made the foray into DIY by building a CMoy. No sound though. Please help.

PCB purchased from Fred_Fred on eBay.

18V; LED lights up; Have tried swapping op amps and cables; Log Pot used; Can't see any shorts in my soldering (first attempt, so don't laugh too loudly at the attached images - I can hear you). :eek:

Thanks for reading and for any feedback you can offer.

Attachments

• P1060858.jpg
    P1060858.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 173
  • P1060859.jpg
    P1060859.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 162
  • P1060861.jpg
    P1060861.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 159
  • P1060865.jpg
    P1060865.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 142
The solder joints are bad. You must re-flow them, preferably adding some flux first. Or remove the solder then reapply, hopefully properly.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It should look like that ^. To achieve it, you must heat both the pcb track and component leg at the same time, then apply solder to the heated parts.

Read some guides - Like this: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm about to start a CMOY amp and I have another question on soldering. From the tangentsoft instructional, it doesn't mention solder bridges aside from one sentence saying that issues with the amp may be caused by solder joints touching one another. But cruising through CMOY images on the web, alot of people have joints bridged all over the place. There's also this instructional that specifies that some soldering bridges should be made in order for the amp to work properly (page 14 of pdf): http://www.calpolyieee.org/projects/cmoyver1.2.pdf. I'd prefer to use the tangentsoft tutorial since it seems to be standard but am I missing something in my intrepretation of it?

Thanks!

Soldering bridges: Usually when we talk about soldering bridges, we talk about unintentional contacts between tracks/components/joints etc. Which I imagine is what tangent is talking about.
For someone new at soldering this probably is common.

But when you're building cmoy's on those breadboards, you don't have tracks, so you use lots of solder to make a circuit. Or you can use wires.
Of course you can't make connections all over the place and expect it to work. I mean, what would the use of engineers be if it where so?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.