Jecklin Float Model One

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Get this!
I was at our local recycling centre the other day to get rid of some assorted unwanted things, and I had a quick look in the shed provided for items that may be of interest to other people, when I saw a pair of sick looking Jecklin Float Model Ones sitting there. Lucky me?
Well yes, lucky indeed, as they do work!
The foam either side of the mesh covering the drivers has perished and the foam for keeping them off your ears has degraded but these issues are easily rectified.
The mesh and the drivers also need re-glueing back in place which can also be sorted with a few minutes of hot glue gun activity.
My question is how to make the best of these phones? Some replace the cable......worth it? Any other tips?
I feel that they need some equalisation so I need a headphone amp to take the signal from a Behringer DEQ 1024. Any recommendations? This could be an analogue or digital amp. Lower end of the price range please and available in the UK or a kit.

Cheers
I had only just mentioned the Floats on another thread quite recently (the electrostatic version) so this find came as quite a surprise.

Wonder wether they really need eq, think these were specifically engineered to make them sound neutral. They might show problems in the audio chain elsewhere, and you might indeed benefit from a headphone amp, what is the impedance on these? Can imagine the electros need something special to drive them.

Hi Jarno,
My first listening impressions were that they sounded quite flat so I thought that a little equalisation would be interesting. Having dismantled them to replace the foam and fix the loose aluminium mesh I am starting to wonder whether the mesh that supports the driver is at fault! It seems to me that the open area of the mesh is to low to allow the sound to pass through unimpeded. I might try a mesh with a higher open area ratio to see what difference it makes. The inner and outer mesh are different; the inner one being a perforated sheet whilst the outer one is an expanded sheet that has a higher open area ratio than the inner.

I have been looking at Peranders Website to see about his Headphone amp pcb's He has some very impressive headphone amps to choose from; has anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers

I have done an intership at Philips Pro Audio, and they did a lot of tuning with meshes and foams in anechoic chambers and B&K measurement equipment. I am assuming Jecklin did the same and chose those materials for a reason, but if you don't like it you should indeed change it.
It could be they needed a bit of a chamber on the inside.

Hi,
Yes, there must be a reason why they decided to use different open area ratio's for the front and rear screens, and maybe the restriction of the inner mesh serves to "load" the driver for some reason.
It would be nice to hear from someone who actually worked on the headphones. Is there anything you can add from your experience with Philips?
All I can tell you is that I initially found the headphones to have a rather flat sound that improved with increased volume. I have now listened to the drivers without the mesh attached and they do sound brighter and more detailed! This was a very brief listening test however.
Some experiments are called for I think!

Cheers

Hi Jerryo,

Congratulations on your nice find. I assume the Jacklin Float headphones that you mention are electrostatic, right? How do you feed the signal to them? Do they come with the step up transformers? Have you measured their bias voltage?

From what I've heard, the headphones need very high voltage swing, and the bias voltage of around 1,000 V. Since the headphones could have been trashed for quite sometime, it's a good idea to take sometime for the headphones to fully charge up before you listen to them. The charge up time depends on the condition of the coating material on the diaphragm and it could take a few hours to days.

Can you take a few pictures of the headphones to show us?

Wachara C.

Hi,
unfortunately they are are not the electrostatic version, just the dynamic driver version. I wish they were the electrostatic ones, as I heard those at a Hi Fi show back in the 1980's, and were the best sounding transducers of any type that I have ever listened to.
One day.....you never know.
Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.