ODAC + PGA2320 + The Wire = The ultimate budget headphone system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably won't be more than one at a time. Main goal is the headphone listening at home desktop. And thru speakers on rare occasions (I use speakers 5% of all listening time at maximum). Just want to make things upgradable and with a little reserve for future.

That's a good suggestion about using DP3T switch for my situation. Easy to implement. If I will do a input/output source selector probably this way will be ok.

All Wire amplifier components, PGA2320 module with MCU and power supplies are just about to arrive. ODAC was sent out of JDS Labs 2 days ago. As soon as all this will be on my table I will start building this project.

Will keep this thread updated with pictures and info on project progress.

Today came two PSU for The Wire and for PGA2320 analog part. Both cheap chinese, but work pretty good. Tested with no load, and all regulators work fine.

Sorry for bad pictures, iPhone and bad illumination gives mediocre results.

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    925.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 94
Few days ago my ODAC arrived. And I had a chance to listen this little toy on a M-Audio BX8a deluxe studio monitors. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed the sound. Background was very black, and even with volume knob all the way up and Foobar set to full volume I couldn't here any noise at all. Actually there was a little noise but it was noise of amlifier, noticed with nothing plugged into monitors input, and it was a challenge to distinguish this noise at all. And after ODAC plugged in this little noise didn't change, remaining on the same level.

I changed my mind after listening. Now I don't consider ODAC a toy anymore. It is a high quality DAC with mature sound!

Now about the sound. Going from onboard audio card to ODAC I'e noticed few things right away. Bass extended quite a bit and became more solid and accurate, less flabby. Also highs became more lifelike and less harsh. Mids showed up a lot of details missing before. ODAC brought wider soundstage and room appeared to be more accurately filled with music. Overall music became more vivid and detailed, sounds are very lifelike with good sense of realism.

Hope that PGA2320 will arrive soon, so I can continue my project.

P.S. DC offset on ODAC was around 1-3ma for both channels.

Last edited:
Now about the sound. Going from onboard audio card to ODAC I'e noticed few things right away. Bass extended quite a bit and became more solid and accurate, less flabby. Also highs became more lifelike and less harsh. Mids showed up a lot of details missing before. ODAC brought wider soundstage and room appeared to be more accurately filled with music. Overall music became more vivid and detailed, sounds are very lifelike with good sense of realism.

Very well summed up, personally think it's a great performing dac and it's found a permanent place with my Wire se-se :)

Hope that PGA2320 will arrive soon, so I can continue my project.

What, it's still not arrived!.. looking forward to getting some setup tips once you've got it all up and running.

Paul.

PGA2320 with MCU

Today received at post office my last package.

Arrived PGA2320 DCV01 module with MCU01 controller from APT Audio! Very nice build with good quality components. Nice design with big and shiny volume knob. Also found a generic remote control in package and it was a welcome surprise for me. :rolleyes:

You can see some photos attached, but they doesn't do any justice of appearance. It looks a lot better in reality. :)

The only thing missing to complete my project is the enclosure. But I hope to buy one very soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    939.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2204.JPG
    711.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    906.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Exluding shipping cost the price list goes:

ODAC - 99$
The Wire - 12$ PCB + 56$ components
PGA2320 volume control - 24$ PGA board + 26$ MCU

cheap bipolar PSU x2 - around 15$ each
1x LM317 PSU - 10$

one small trafo for digital PSU and one dual secondary trafo cost me around 10$ for both at radio market

so all major parts are around 270$ total

and also you will need some connectors, switches, wires, bolts, nuts, IEC socket and other small parts to complete this project.

This project goes little bit past 300$ total. Main goal is great bang for buck ratio combined with very good sound quality.

Of course there are a lot of cheap DAC/Amp combos out there, but didn't seen in any of these some good componets to make me happy.

I understood myself that DIY isn't cheap, but it is all about price/performance ratio and it couldn't get any higher as here at diyaudio. Want to say a big thanks to this forum for great ideas and inspiration to build my own device. The only thing left is to share it with others.

I have the ODAC and quite a few power supplies as well as toroids and LDR based volume controls at hand and am interested in the wire kit. Unfortunately they are not available as of now. Can you tell me from where you procured the wire PCB and components (including the BOM) if possible. Thanks.

TiEx, like a few others, got his pcb in opc's finale clear out of The Wire related goodies a few months back... The Wiki build guide contains all the bits you could want relating to the headphone amps ... here :)

Paul.

I have the ODAC and quite a few power supplies as well as toroids and LDR based volume controls at hand and am interested in the wire kit. Unfortunately they are not available as of now. Can you tell me from where you procured the wire PCB and components (including the BOM) if possible. Thanks.

avbuilder, all the parts for The Wire I've got from ebay as I don't have good electronics supplyers around and shipping from mouser or digikey is to expensive.

As for The Wire PCB Paul mentioned correctly. There was a clear out from OPC and I was lucky enough to jump on the train. You can try to buy PCB from the guys that bought few pcb's. I have bought two myself, but second is for a future project, can't help you here. On the other side there is an O2 by NwAvGuy that is not far from OPC's Wire, you can ask Paul in this regard.

P.S. Sorry for the project delay. :eek: I am a little busy last few weeks and in a while the project will continue and hope soon will be finished. Also need to get my hands on orthodynamic headphones project as well to make my listening setup complete.

Really hope to give you guys some review with pictures and impressions somewhere in August. :)

Best regards

Alex.

Last edited:
Hello guys. Wanted to say that I'm not gave up on this project or something like that. BTW I bought a nice plastic enclosure and already started drill and cut mounting holes for the components.

Attachments

• IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    921.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 84
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.