ODAC + PGA2320 + The Wire = The ultimate budget headphone system - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 10:43 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys for help.

How about multiple connectors on PGA2320 input and output? To make this project also work as standalone DAC, Preamp, Variable output DAC, Headphone amp. Do I need a source selector?
Old 24th May 2012, 04:05 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiEx View Post
Do I need a source selector?
Kinda hard to avoid if you want to be able to connect multiple sources. I'd be inclined to go for the oldschool mechanical variety, depending on how many you need (DP3T switches should still be fairly common).
Old 24th May 2012, 04:39 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Probably won't be more than one at a time. Main goal is the headphone listening at home desktop. And thru speakers on rare occasions (I use speakers 5% of all listening time at maximum). Just want to make things upgradable and with a little reserve for future.

That's a good suggestion about using DP3T switch for my situation. Easy to implement. If I will do a input/output source selector probably this way will be ok.
Old 26th May 2012, 04:54 AM   #24
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks great, I will keep up with this project. I have been looking for a small all in one setup for my office.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:47 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

All Wire amplifier components, PGA2320 module with MCU and power supplies are just about to arrive. ODAC was sent out of JDS Labs 2 days ago. As soon as all this will be on my table I will start building this project.

Will keep this thread updated with pictures and info on project progress.
Old 28th May 2012, 08:01 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Today came two PSU for The Wire and for PGA2320 analog part. Both cheap chinese, but work pretty good. Tested with no load, and all regulators work fine.

Sorry for bad pictures, iPhone and bad illumination gives mediocre results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2163.jpg (330.0 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2165.jpg (337.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2166.JPG (925.6 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2167.jpg (317.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2168.jpg (294.2 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2169.jpg (263.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 1st June 2012, 09:40 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Received in mail all remaining parts to build The Wire, including LME49990 and LME49600.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2174.JPG (456.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 5th June 2012, 04:14 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Finished The Wire amplifier today. Still waiting for connectors and PGA2320 with MCU to arrive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2190.JPG (931.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2188.jpg (258.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2187.jpg (253.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 12th June 2012, 08:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Few days ago my ODAC arrived. And I had a chance to listen this little toy on a M-Audio BX8a deluxe studio monitors. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed the sound. Background was very black, and even with volume knob all the way up and Foobar set to full volume I couldn't here any noise at all. Actually there was a little noise but it was noise of amlifier, noticed with nothing plugged into monitors input, and it was a challenge to distinguish this noise at all. And after ODAC plugged in this little noise didn't change, remaining on the same level.

I changed my mind after listening. Now I don't consider ODAC a toy anymore. It is a high quality DAC with mature sound!

Now about the sound. Going from onboard audio card to ODAC I'e noticed few things right away. Bass extended quite a bit and became more solid and accurate, less flabby. Also highs became more lifelike and less harsh. Mids showed up a lot of details missing before. ODAC brought wider soundstage and room appeared to be more accurately filled with music. Overall music became more vivid and detailed, sounds are very lifelike with good sense of realism.

Hope that PGA2320 will arrive soon, so I can continue my project.

P.S. DC offset on ODAC was around 1-3ma for both channels.

Last edited by TiEx; 12th June 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12th June 2012, 09:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now about the sound. Going from onboard audio card to ODAC I'e noticed few things right away. Bass extended quite a bit and became more solid and accurate, less flabby. Also highs became more lifelike and less harsh. Mids showed up a lot of details missing before. ODAC brought wider soundstage and room appeared to be more accurately filled with music. Overall music became more vivid and detailed, sounds are very lifelike with good sense of realism.
Very well summed up, personally think it's a great performing dac and it's found a permanent place with my Wire se-se

Quote:
Hope that PGA2320 will arrive soon, so I can continue my project.
What, it's still not arrived!.. looking forward to getting some setup tips once you've got it all up and running.

Paul.

Hide this!Advertise here!