shooting earmuff headphones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default shooting earmuff headphones

I'm thinking about building myself a second set of headphones for a cheap audio project.

I'm looking at these parts:
Peltor Hearing Protectors with Neck Band - Ear Muffs - Hearing Protection - Hearing & Eye Protection | Creedmoor Sports
and
25CE500-RO Kobitone Speakers & Transducers

Any better ideas for $30 worth of parts, or tips on construction?

When built, I will of course post pics and results.
Old 11th May 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is very interesting because I have a pair of Peltor yellow 98's and I want to build them intoa pair of monitor headphones for studio use. I hope you make better progress than I have, its very hard to find the perfect drivers to use( I'm still looking). Good luck
Old 27th May 2012, 01:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't yet got around to making these, and I ran across something on parts-express:

HiWave HIAX13C02-8/RH 13mm Exciter 8 Ohms 297-214

I was thinking about mounting two of those inside the earmuffs, affixed to a couple of pieces of stiff plastic or metal, cut to fit the shape of the muffs.

I think the power rating is low enough on these that they would work, and I could even use a tiny non-headphone-specific amp of some sort since they are 8 ohm.

I've read pretty bad things about these exciters in terms of fidelity when used as speakers, but never read of them being used in this manner.

Should I just go with the 600 ohm speakers, or try making a speaker with exciter/stiff material, made to fit the headphone cavity? Would it sound bad? Speculation?

Last edited by neebster; 27th May 2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 27th May 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I see headphone drivers every now and then for sale on the surplus market. Full brand and specs are often lacking, of course. A good 1" or 2" FR driver would work - that's what I used when I built a similar project some years ago. They can provide surprising satisfactory results. Good drivers pulled from a set of computer speakers will have a different sound mounted into headphones, and are efficient enough to use that "non-headphone-specific amp." To go all-out, I'd look for a small woofer & tweeter that would fit the muffs.
Old 28th May 2012, 04:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am not negating the benefits of "normal" speakers, and in fact will probably end up using the 600 ohm kobitones. I was querying the community on the perceived efficacy of moving coil exciters for headphone usage.
Old 28th May 2012, 04:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was actually thinking of making two ways with a 2 " -" woofer" and a small dome, maybe 3/4". I guess I could just pick up surplus units and measure them on my WT2 for compatability. one thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is getting such small drivers to reproduce the lowest end of the freq. spectrum. I'm used to dealing with big drivers in really big boxes . Those exciters I have never personally heard, but it seems interesting.
Old 28th May 2012, 04:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Neebster , I don't see a sensitivity rating on those kobitones and with such a low power handling I would hope it should be pretty high.?!

Hide this!Advertise here!