Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

Uber lo noise

The LM317/LM337 should be replaced with LT1963A and LT3015 -- you'll be pleased with the results.

If you were going to build an over-the-top, cost-no-obect, unber-lo-noise power supply for a headphone amp, what would you recommend? TPS7A33, LT1963, Jung or Didden super-regs are obvious choices. If it could be done without remote sensing I'd prefer that. I'm hoping to save the cost of building and evaluating each, and would rather just use what others have already evaluated.

If you were going to build an over-the-top, cost-no-obect, unber-lo-noise power supply for a headphone amp, what would you recommend? TPS7A33, LT1963, Jung or Didden super-regs are obvious choices. If it could be done without remote sensing I'd prefer that. I'm hoping to save the cost of building and evaluating each, and would rather just use what others have already evaluated.

The LM317/337 definitely make things worse...

> The LM317/337 definitely make things worse...

We have a different experience with the F5-HA using 317/337 followed by a cap multiplier.
Admittedly we did not try the LT's.

Patrick

Somewhat like "reverse PSRR" -- the LM317 seems to put harmonics back on the rails:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unlike the Jung/Didden:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This was a test suggested by one of the respondents to the LA article. It was done months after the article came out so there wasn't any "ex ante" bias.

Last edited:
That is using 317_337 driving the load direct ?

It has been proven that many high NFB "Super Regulators" will oscillate with the F5-HA.
That actually includes my lab PSU, as well as the beloved Salas shunt.
An open loop PSU (cap multiplier or variants) has no such problems.
And the F5-HA has quite good PSRR.
So the verdict is still out, at least for that particular circuit.

I would tend to think that The Marsh has equally good PSRR ?

Patrick

Please forgive the novice question, but what was the test setup for these shots? I don't understand how the supply was stimulated - doesn't look like it could be residual rectifier ripple (and harmonics).

This was a test suggested by an LA reader -- just the regulators in the test with a modest load (140mA) , subjected to a 1kHz signal -- it is not a test of Richard's device.

This was a test suggested by an LA reader -- just the regulators in the test with a modest load (140mA) , subjected to a 1kHz signal -- it is not a test of Richard's device.

Thanks. I understand it isn't a test of Richard's device. "subjected to a 1kHz signal" - forgive me for being stupid but it is this bit that I don't fully get. The load is 1kHz sinusoidal? How done? If this is too off-topic then I will gladly transfer the tuition to PM correspondence. :eek:

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hundreds of pcb have been produced for this headphone Amplifier. Who have used shunt supplies? And, what are the thoughts from those many others now listening to their favorite music? Are there many using higher PS voltages?

Did anyone else also do the auto-EQ for flat response at the ear that was a part of the Linear Audio article?

THx-Richard Marsh

Last edited: