Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 11:07 PM   #591
diyAudio Member

I didn't know that.
Well, no gold then, sorry guys.
Old 4th March 2013, 11:11 PM   #592
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

I would be interested only if the boards are 2oz copper. No preference for tinned or gold-plated as my iron has no issues with either.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:16 AM   #593
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Gold is only used on the traces themselves to protect them. not at the solder joint because gold is quickly leached into the tin/lead and makes for a brittle connection. The solder pads would stay tin or copper.

A solder mask over copper/tin is excellent.

Thx-RNMarsh
Old 5th March 2013, 02:28 AM   #594
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Most board houses offer HASL as a standard plating, lead solder by default, have to specify no-lead if you want that (SMOBC) , extra costs for specials such as Electo-plate or Immersion Gold etc. (SMOGP),tin,silver plate or organic coat (Entek)
I am to understand that they plate nickel over copper before plating gold, this is to prevent leaching of the copper.
Most pcbs end up with around 2oz of copper on outer layers, that is if they have plated through holes, as this plating of copper process adds another oz to the existing cooper foil of 1oz.
Rick
Old 5th March 2013, 03:39 AM   #595
diyAudio Member

nickel is plated over copper becuase, as I recall, it is difficult to directly plate to copper without the intermediate metal... it would otherwise tend to seperate, peal off easily....It isnt as durable.
[ Same for chrome plating.... cant chrome directly to steel... use nickel then chrome. Or better, copper then nickel then chrome if you want it to really last. Otherwise, it will peal off.]

In any case, you dont want nickel (a ferrous metal) if you can minimise its use for audio conductor and connectors.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 5th March 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:28 PM   #596
diyAudio Member

Files have been sent to production; I ordered 10 PCBs with 2oz copper.
Below is a virtual render of a populated board using Eagle3D.
Attached Images
File Type: png RN_Marsh_HeadAmp_PCB.png (328.9 KB, 383 views)
Old 7th March 2013, 12:34 PM   #597
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
In any case, you dont want nickel (a ferrous metal)
That'll be news to the periodic table. Nickel is, if I recall, 2 columns over from iron.
Old 7th March 2013, 01:03 PM   #598
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mr Marsh likely meant that Nickel is part of what's here called the group of non-noble metals. (aka base metals)
Old 7th March 2013, 08:26 PM   #599
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
That'll be news to the periodic table. Nickel is, if I recall, 2 columns over from iron.
Not sure what you are arguing about (?). Look into how plating on steel is done and why.

Nickel is wanted for various plating purposes in electronics but not wanted for lowest distortion.

The object of introducing intermediate metals in plating is to close that gap between the base metal and the final metal for reliability of the finished goods. but thats not all.

There are many other details not mentioned about plating and why/what but these are the only ones I am making now.

One example that might be applicable to audio would be durability on contacts... plugs/jacks and edge connectors. When there is a need for a hard metal to prevent wear on repeated insertions. Gold over nickle is another need for a hard base metal. Then there is gold dopping with arsnic to make it hard and not rub/wear off. This is usually what you get with gold... hardened gold. Etc etc etc.

Personally, I would only tin plate the copper or use no plate but only a good solder mask. The fewer the different metals together, the better..... esp. not widely seperated metals on the periodic table.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 7th March 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 7th March 2013, 08:31 PM   #600
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

the purported distortion problem with Ni is from its ferromagnetic properties

clearly Marsh' intent - I don't see the point in the quibble

Last edited by jcx; 7th March 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!