Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

Ok, this is just for fun, dont have a point with this.
:grouphug:

CTC Blowtorch

CTC Blowtorch.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Three terminal reg, shunt reference volt reg and then an emitter or source follower (C-multiplier).

For John Curl, lowest possible noise is a priority of his. Three term regs are not quiet enough. And, also does this for each amp stage for best isolation.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I looked at them and think the order you have them is the order I would try. However, I am tempted to use the dual rail because it has a more comprehensive spec and higher output voltage, if you want to experiment with other devices and voltages. They all seem OK to me.

I am curious about shunt or push-pull/active ground ref type but dont know of any kits.

-RNM

Hello Richard,
I ordered a kit of your amp, and now just looking for some PSU. I planning to use that amp with Audeze LCD-3 phones, so I think to go for 15-17 V rails.
Now there is a lot of PSU kits on ebay, so I'm interesting to hear you suggestion about the PSU kits below:
Kubota
Dual Rail TPS7A4700
LT1083
Are these any good to use with quality head amp ?

Here is what I used ... a heckuva lot cheaper and works great! I have even cranked it up to +/-18V and the Marsh gets better the higher you crank it!

1 25 37V Adjustable Voltage Regulator Module Based on LM317 LM337 | eBay

I tried the second one you linked above and it did not work with the Marsh. I do not think it could supply enough current.
The CCS is set to 1.25V/10R = 125mA in stock form. Marsh HA requires 200mA. Solder another 10R on top of the set resistor will raise the CCS to 250mA and will be able to power the Marsh. Or, use 2, one for each channel. Why not for this price :)

This reg does require a dual secondary transformer. A CT transformer will not work.

Good point, I actually have a couple of these regs somewhere. Sounds like a 5R in parallel to the 10R is the way to go. That should give a 375mA CCS.

Still waiting for the 2N5460 to come, slow boat from China, it has been 4 weeks now. Maybe missing in transit, the tracking status hasn't shown it arrived US turf at all, sigh.

I did notice this parts at Mouser and are in my shopping cart. That indeed will be my last resort.

Why? The 2N5457's that I have are Fairchild, so I am kind of trying to avoid mixing jfet manufacturers. Not sure I am worrying something that I shouldn't.....

Thanks to Jack's new board which allows me to use the sot-23 parts. I am likely to go that route if no TO-92 2N5460 in sight by end of next week. Just a little more challenging for the 57 yr old to do the matching, but then this is part of the fun :)

I used dual PS's on the board and for me, it has always improved sound on anything I have made. I have a preamp with two PS's that could power a small speaker amplifier (each one) but the unlimited (almost) reserve and clean DC gets you where you need to be for that part of the equation. When I can do a dual supply I use what I call the pseudo dual PS, that used a RCL or RCRC to divide the supply and you can't really hear the difference from a true dual supply unless there isn't enough upstream to begin with.