Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 03:51 AM   #361
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member
 
sonidos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Round Rock, TX
@jackinnj

You close to giving a green light to distribute boards?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 10:57 AM   #362
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
What about this.

Headphone ground return wire goes directly to audio ground and the left/right SGD are each connected to the audio ground through 10R//100nF.

The audio ground is then directly connectd to regulator/cap multiplier ground.

In my opinion this should be the best solution.
Attached Images
File Type: png Grounding_2.PNG (12.3 KB, 481 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 04:04 AM   #363
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RNMarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 2457 Cascade Trail; Cool, CA. 95614
BTW- I didnt use any 10 Ohm resistors in my headamp sample and have no grounding issues..... just follow the current loop (s) to see if they intersect one another...or share a common path. -RNM
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 06:37 PM   #364
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member
 
sonidos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Round Rock, TX
Yes, jackinnj introduced the idea in an addendum to your pcb.

One question that another member brought up several posts back. In the matching of pnp to npn, many have told me that it's a pipe dream to get matches that are very close. I know when I refurbed my Adcom 535 amp, I went the distance to match. Finding PNP to NPN matches was darn near impossible. NPN to NPN or PNP to PNP was a piece of cake...the trannies came from the same batch and all matched very closely.

I think the member who asked first said he planned to by 1000 of them, if IIRC.

How close were your matches?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 09:49 PM   #365
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RNMarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 2457 Cascade Trail; Cool, CA. 95614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonidos View Post
Yes, jackinnj introduced the idea in an addendum to your pcb.

One question that another member brought up several posts back. In the matching of pnp to npn, many have told me that it's a pipe dream to get matches that are very close. I know when I refurbed my Adcom 535 amp, I went the distance to match. Finding PNP to NPN matches was darn near impossible. NPN to NPN or PNP to PNP was a piece of cake...the trannies came from the same batch and all matched very closely.

I think the member who asked first said he planned to by 1000 of them, if IIRC.

How close were your matches?
It isnt obvious but I did spend about 2000 dollars on this project. A lot was trying different transistors for matching. I think you will find these particular transistors will Not take a 1000 to get a match. How close? 5% is what got for the results I published. The jFets - I bought 100 each and found 20 of each matched. Bipolar was easier because the one you will use are closer to being a good compliment in the first place. So, dont panic or worry how it will turn out... I have taken a lot of the cost and drudgery out of it for you (as much as my budget would tolerate, at least). -RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 15th July 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: matching made easier -
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 10:12 PM   #366
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member
 
sonidos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Round Rock, TX
Thanks for the additional details. I bought 8 pcs. of the p-fet and then started to think...that ain't gonna do it!

I did find the jfets at Futurelec for about 10 cents each. I bought about 40 of each, so I'm hoping to get in the neighborhood.

BJTs are all USA made, so that should do the trick and get good results.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 11:18 PM   #367
Unomas is offline Unomas  Spain
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default Not so easy to get complements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
It isnt obvious but I did spend about 2000 dollars on this project. A lot was trying different transistors for matching. I think you will find these particular transistors will Not take a 1000 to get a match. How close? 5% is what got for the results I published. The jFets - I bought 100 each and found 20 of each matched. Bipolar was easier because the one you will use are closer to being a good compliment in the first place. So, dont panic or worry how it will turn out... I have taken a lot of the cost and drudgery out of it for you (as much as my budget would tolerate, at least). -RNM
Not so easy, I'm afraid!! I am the one that post before regarding the problems with MJE200/210. I bought 100 of each and NOT even one pair!

Now I will try with Onsemi (the other where Fairchild's). I will report later on the results. I hope (well better say PRAY) this time will have better luck...

Javier
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 12:16 AM   #368
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RNMarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 2457 Cascade Trail; Cool, CA. 95614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unomas View Post
Not so easy, I'm afraid!! I am the one that post before regarding the problems with MJE200/210. I bought 100 of each and NOT even one pair!

Now I will try with Onsemi (the other where Fairchild's). I will report later on the results. I hope (well better say PRAY) this time will have better luck...

Javier
Well that must be frustrating! What tests are you matching for?? And, what brand and source did you use?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 02:57 AM   #369
Unomas is offline Unomas  Spain
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Well that must be frustrating! What tests are you matching for?? And, what brand and source did you use?
Yes indeed, quite frustrating.
As I said in my previous post, I tested them using a Peak Atlas DCA55. They have perfectly equal Vbe, but Hfe was a whole different story:
- MJE200: From 140 to 170
- MJE210: From 210 to 225

I bought them from a reputable (well I think so...) source like Mouser and they are from a reputable manufacturer (again, I think so...) like Fairchild.
This time I will try with On Semiconductor. I will tell you later on the result.

Javier
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 04:23 AM   #370
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RNMarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 2457 Cascade Trail; Cool, CA. 95614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unomas View Post
Yes indeed, quite frustrating.
As I said in my previous post, I tested them using a Peak Atlas DCA55. They have perfectly equal Vbe, but Hfe was a whole different story:
- MJE200: From 140 to 170
- MJE210: From 210 to 225

I bought them from a reputable (well I think so...) source like Mouser and they are from a reputable manufacturer (again, I think so...) like Fairchild.
This time I will try with On Semiconductor. I will tell you later on the result.

Javier
Good that the Vbe match as compliments. Isnt so important that the Hfe match as the configuration and the fact they are used as followers reduces the matter. use them. Match the fets and the to92 devices for Hfe and Vbe... did those test ok for you?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Meier Audio Corda Headphone Amp jtwrace Swap Meet 5 29th February 2012 12:34 PM
Histoically significant - Phase Linear audio pre-amp bobcul Swap Meet 0 21st February 2012 09:16 PM
Headphone amp with mixed-in telephone audio krfjr1965 Solid State 3 10th March 2010 04:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2