Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2012, 08:25 PM   #331
diyAudio Member

@sonidos
I used 1W Panasonic ECG's for the BJT's (available from DigiKey), Vishay-Dale CMF60 for the gain and feedback resistors, and CMF55's for the rest (if the values matched.)
Old 4th July 2012, 12:26 AM   #332
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the breakdown on the resistors. Getting close to having my shopping list done. I got the jfets and next week I'll spend some time measuring and matching.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:41 AM   #333
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Waiting for feedback from people who get this built and tell me how it sounds.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:17 AM   #334
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Waiting for feedback from people who get this built and tell me how it sounds.
Ohh, it's coming!

I spent some time on vacation taking a closer look at the article and some of your comments intrigued me and I'll definitely have some questions. Some things you describe jibe with what one forum member (ex. Nat Semi) discussed with me in a few private emails.
Old 10th July 2012, 05:03 PM   #335
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Default quote on page 32 of LA vol. 3

@RNMarsh

On page 32, I read the following:

"I also preferred the arrangement because the input and the feedback occurred in the same transistor - making the most direct correction."

Forum member audioman54 made a similar comment re. the Nat Semi LME chips (that would be Mark Brasfield who once worked on the LME chips). I had never given it any thought until I read his postings and the same comments in his personal correspondence with me. Many moons ago, I bought Walt Jung's book on audio op amps and read other articles where you see feedback and signal input are separate and so I always thought that's the best way. So your comment caught my eye because it is similar to what he told me.

Are the benefits measurable? Or one of those things where you can hear improvement? Can you expand a bit on this comment and your experience?

Last edited by sonidos; 10th July 2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10th July 2012, 06:38 PM   #336
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

My own work in this area dates back to the 1970's. I was developing toplogy similar to the now current-mode feedback amps at the time. I now call it a diamond amp configuration. It is very common now. I'll get some old schematics and old articles put up here, soon. But if you want the short story history - go to the Headphone amp article in Linear Audio. Too much to duplicate here. Anyway, it was WAY before IC makers started doing it this way and now have many variants.

Boy, I never thought I would be this old that i would be writing about audio history with myself in it. :-) I'll tell you all that if you spend every day and evening and weekends for twenty-five years studying, have no children (1) until late in life and are willing to keep doing this while your spouses (4) walk off.... and have access to the worlds largest technical library and great minds involved in research around you ---- you can far out distance mainstream. But it will cost you. So, I am willing to give what I know and can to help others take a shorter, easier path.

Last edited by RNMarsh; 10th July 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:05 PM   #337
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My own work in this area dates back to the 1970's... Anyway, it was WAY before IC makers started doing it this way...
kinda tough when Harris was selling CFA in early '70s, unless "WAY before" was months, weeks?

Walt Jung's History chapter in his (free, online) Op Amp Applications tome is worth reading

Google turns up a 1972 ref to HA2500 second source

many cirucit topologies were implemented in potted modules, hybrid circuits before semi processes allowed fully monolithic impelementaitons
Old 10th July 2012, 07:27 PM   #338
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
So, I am willing to give what I know and can to help others take a shorter, easier path.

Ha! 1 wife and 4 kids for me! That is why I am so farrrrrr behind. I won't catch up.

BTW, I have tried the approach recommended by audioman54 and was pleased that it worked. Your comment caught my eye, along with others in the article. So hopefully I'm not too pesky and receive a big bill from you in the mail. More questions to come. And thanks for the upcoming material.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:20 PM   #339
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

@jcx -

Yes, Walt Jung has tons of great links and pdf's which I have read or skimmed. VERY valuable stuff.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:51 PM   #340
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I missread Walt's history re HA-2500

I've poked thru a little more of the history - the HA-2500 is a conventional diff pair input amp

wikipedia credits CFA op amps as dating to 1980's patents - so Marsh could easily have anticipated those patents

but later in Walt's history he shows a 1937 tube amp "CFA" circuit

such series feedback amps became ubiquitous with single polarity input Q bjt amp circuits

I find it hard to believe no discrete bjt amp with complementary/offset cancelling front end was ever made in the prior 2+ decdes of discrete complementary Q availbilty before the fast complementary monolithic "CFA" op amps of the '80s

Last edited by jcx; 10th July 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!