Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 02:52 PM   #151
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
When you said: "Ed's point is that a sim is nice, but real pieces of silicon, carbon, and copper may not give you what the sim predicts. RM's circuit performance as a real, built item is outstandingly good." you suggested that simulated circuits always perform better than real ones.
"Different" is not synonymous with "Better."
Old 24th May 2012, 02:59 PM   #152
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
How exactly does MAY not suggest always?

Please look up the word "may" and get back to us.

se
Using "may not" makes the reader think the writer sees the subject as pessimestic. If you used "may well" it does just the opposite.

Same type of situation like telling someone the price is only 19.99 $ instead of 20$. The difference is only 1 cent but its proven that over 60 percent of people fall for the .99. Thats the reason you see on all department stores, well virtually any commercial enterprise advertise everything with the famous .99. After all the years it still to works.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:07 PM   #153
coluke is offline coluke  Italy
diyAudio Member

OK - forget about LA: posting to diyaudio a working circuit that's not pretty basic stuff for those in the art will be fine too (and I'm afraid DB, VF topologies with DB output buffer and the like * do are * pretty basic stuff for almost everyone here...). Nothing miracolous about RN's amplifier - do not have the last LA issue on my desk, but from what I've seen (and read) it seems only a well engineered simple and clever circuit that works really fine: something different from the same old discrete VF power opamp, which is one of the reasons why I'd give it a try. It's probably nor the best neither the worst way to do a headphone amp, but simply one of the ways to do it - I went for a crazy CF open-loop topology, other guys may well go for something entrirely different: there's more than...

Anyway it seems I don't see your point and you don't see mine - all in all it's fine for me: I'm a physicist and do love symmetry so much...

L.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #154
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I had a miracle circuit do you think I'd share it with anyone? Hell no. I'd patent it.
Quote:
If you're willing to share, I'm willing to learn.

The generosity of sharing circuits is how we all learn.
Interesting pair of opinions.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
The Class-A Amplifier Site - JLH Headphone Amplifiers

I thought everyone was aware of these simple circuits. This one dates from 1969.
Here is a good place to start, look at figure 2, tweak it, make the output a cfp, bias the output hot, 100 ma or even more, mje172 series is excellent for the job, its not not too difficult to get .001 thd into 30ohms ( depends much on output bias current. Use hig beta input transistors to get high input impedance like bc550 series and bigger caps like 2200 uf One you have in simmed and seen the in and outs you can add simple features that will make it even better.

No 18 transistors needed
Jaha! The buffer shown earlier in this thread is just a beefed up version of the one shown in your link at the bottom of the page.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Interesting pair of opinions.
Right, so the upshot is that the only things to be shared are the ordinary...
Old 24th May 2012, 03:38 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Seems you dont need much help, you have the right idea, thats one way to go about it, its pretty simple reaching the figures mentioned here with headphone amps.
Thanks! Always more to learn though.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:53 PM   #158
coluke is offline coluke  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Class-A Amplifier Site - JLH Headphone Amplifiers

I thought everyone was aware of these simple circuits. This one dates from 1969.
Gosh! Why not a low power Williamson, maybe with a Kappler phase splitter? Or an Olson with a single pair of 6F6s on output?

Seriously speaking: I do love the JLH - built it in 1978, some 34 years ago, when I was very very young... Now I feel the time is right for moving to something different, just for the sake of curiosity, or maybe just to keep myself alive and kicking...

L.
Old 24th May 2012, 04:02 PM   #159
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluke View Post
Gosh! Why not a low power Williamson, maybe with a Kappler phase splitter? Or an Olson with a single pair of 6F6s on output?

Seriously speaking: I do love the JLH - built it in 1978, some 34 years ago, when I was very very young... Now I feel the time is right for moving to something different, just for the sake of curiosity, or maybe just to keep myself alive and kicking...

L.
Oh I have , I took that circuit and gave it much better performance. At solidstate there is currently two designs being developed around the basic scheme as shown and those involved love it, see TSSA thread. Funny how after all the years nothing as simple and good performing has come up and how many are only now discovering it.
Old 24th May 2012, 04:33 PM   #160
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you're willing to share, I'm willing to learn.

The generosity of sharing circuits is how we all learn.
I thought sharing how to make a circuit topology perform to its best potential was a lot of what this site was all about. Am I in the wrong place?

Last edited by RNMarsh; 24th May 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!