Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 09:21 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

This one is a bit better. Output is just shy of 1V rms. Bandwidth is good with no funny stuff. You're gonna need some massive heatsinks though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diamond buffer bare thd.JPG (81.4 KB, 700 views)
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:32 PM   #122
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ed's point is that a sim is nice, but real pieces of silicon, carbon, and copper may not give you what the sim predicts. RM's circuit performance as a real, built item is outstandingly good. Makes me want to try to do better using vacuum tubes...
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:40 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Ed's point is that a sim is nice, but real pieces of silicon, carbon, and copper may not give you what the sim predicts. RM's circuit performance as a real, built item is outstandingly good. Makes me want to try to do better using vacuum tubes...
Might not!!!??? I have some simulated amplifiers that are so close to perfect it is scary. Of course when you build them they don't come close. Then after you tweak in all the real values they still don't!

Reminds me of the internet dating beauty....
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:40 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I fully realize that. So, even if it's twice as much distortion, we're still talking 0.0004%. OK, make it ten times as bad... 0.002%... big hoop dee doo.

I'm looking at peltier devices for cooling... hahaha.

You wanna do this with tubes?!?!? Your headphone amp is going to double as a space heater.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:47 PM   #125
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
You wanna do this with tubes?!?!? Your headphone amp is going to double as a space heater.
Can't deny THAT.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:30 PM   #126
coluke is offline coluke  Italy
diyAudio Member

Dirk, I know that DBs work very well - already tried a simple unitary gain DB buffer (open-loop: there's more than one way to do it... ) with CCS on input bjt emitters and CFPs on output: it rocks.
Nevertheless, I'm afraid I can't get the point. I mean: you can build the DB you simmed, measure it, listen to it and then - if it works well and _as expected_) eventually submit it to Janneman's LA. Then someone will pop up and say: Damn, why another discrete DB? Wht not a 49600? Why not a simpler power follower with an active load...? There's more than one way to do it (yeah, I'm a PERL fan...), and probably my way is different from yours or Richard's - to me electronic design is a matter of good engineering practices * and * personal taste: as long as the former are obeyed...

L.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:49 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can't deny THAT.
Sy, this is for you. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KT88 srpp amp.JPG (111.6 KB, 688 views)
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:54 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluke View Post
Dirk, I know that DBs work very well - already tried a simple unitary gain DB buffer (open-loop: there's more than one way to do it... ) with CCS on input bjt emitters and CFPs on output: it rocks.
Nevertheless, I'm afraid I can't get the point. I mean: you can build the DB you simmed, measure it, listen to it and then - if it works well and _as expected_) eventually submit it to Janneman's LA. Then someone will pop up and say: Damn, why another discrete DB? Wht not a 49600? Why not a simpler power follower with an active load...? There's more than one way to do it (yeah, I'm a PERL fan...), and probably my way is different from yours or Richard's - to me electronic design is a matter of good engineering practices * and * personal taste: as long as the former are obeyed...

L.
Well, that's why I will never submit it to a magazine...

I was just playing around. Someone mentioned the idea of doing something great with a buffer with as few transistors as possible. So, thus the gauntlet was thrown down.... at least I had the guts to rise to the challenge. What's your circuit that meets those requirements? Can you show one? Come on, I'm waiting... Do you have a SE mosfet circuit lying around that sims good? Ha, I bet Mr. Pass can come up with something fantastic with ONE transistor... HAHAHA. Me, I'm not that talented.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:29 PM   #129
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Sy, this is for you. Enjoy.
If you're trying to do it the most inefficient way possible, that will certainly work.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:04 AM   #130
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

The throw down is for a Gain stage -- DA -- the Diamond Amplifier. The DB was invented and patented by R. Baker of MIT and first presented at IEEE conference in 1963.

Hide this!Advertise here!