Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 04:45 PM   #101
coluke is offline coluke  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
If all is needed is a buffer, then what's wrong with the classic diamond buffer? I think it's really awesome.
I'm not Richard, of course, but what's wrong with trying something different that works equally well, or even better? I've been loving diamond buffers since the first time I saw the LH0002 schematics, but Richard's buffer is as elegant and simple as the DB, and its figures are quite amazing.

L.
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:52 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluke View Post
I'm not Richard, of course, but what's wrong with trying something different that works equally well, or even better? I've been loving diamond buffers since the first time I saw the LH0002 schematics, but Richard's buffer is as elegant and simple as the DB, and its figures are quite amazing.

L.
Because this isn't about "flavor of the week". It's about what works. To me, this is engineering, not fashion.
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:58 PM   #103
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
There is both a buffer and a 12db gain stage. This is why you need the article. not to make money but to explain what is going on best.
I was thinking that the circuit being discussed as in post 1 could do this, so there is even more parts involved. This unless you see the last CFP pairs as a buffer which I dont in my point of view. Too complicated then for what it can do, like I mentioned before JLHs design can do same or better and is less complex.
Its not difficult to do minor changes to give the circuit in post 6 voltage gain, have the kind of performance described and (there is more than one way), its basic stuff and already done ages ago.

I have nothing against Linear Audio btw but I can see some reason behind the commercial argument made here. This has come up a few times in the forum but resolution is not easy on this topic.
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:59 PM   #104
coluke is offline coluke  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Because this isn't about "flavor of the week". It's about what works. To me, this is engineering, not fashion.
Guys, we're talking about an open-loop small-power buffer capable of 0.001% THD into 30 ohm - it seems there's quite a lot of good engineering behind these figures...

L.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:00 PM   #105
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluke View Post
Guys, we're talking about an open-loop small-power buffer capable of 0.001% THD into 30 ohm - it seems there's quite a lot of good engineering behind these figures...

L.
Bingo. "In my father's house, there are many mansions."
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:08 PM   #106
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
I was thinking that the circuit being discussed as in post 1 could do this, so there is even more parts involved. This unless you see the last CFP pairs as a buffer which I dont in my point of view. Too complicated then for what it can do, like I mentioned before JLHs design can do same or better and is less complex.
Its not difficult to do minor changes to give the circuit in post 6 voltage gain, have the kind of performance described and (there is more than one way), its basic stuff and already done ages ago.

I have nothing against Linear Audio btw but I can see some reason behind the commercial argument made here. This has come up a few times in the forum but resolution is not easy on this topic.
Interesting attitude.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:24 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. LA hasn't created the bad vibe, its quite blameless (in the everyday meaning of that word!). I freely acknowledge my share of the blame for the bad vibe, and I apologise for that.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post

As RNMarsh seems to acknowledge in post #80, Linear Audio is a commercial concern - nothing wrong with that at all.
I got the idea for Linear Audio in 2009 at the European Triode Festival, when discussing audio pubs in general and lamenting their disappearance. Since I always seem to be the sucker at such occasions (and/or the guy who drinks too much), I took euro 20k from my retirement fund and started Linear Audio.
By now, it seems to be able to pay for itself. Whether I ever get back my euro 20k - who knows?

You may have noted that I take one article from each issue and put it online for free, as soon as a new issue is published. But LA is a printed issue because I personally like printed books, I like to have them at my side, open where I am, and leaf up and down the pages to check things, enjoy the smell of ink. Unfortunately, that doesn't come for free. And it would be very disrespectfull of me to people who pay for LA if all the contents would be available elsewhere for free.
It is something the whole publishing world is grappling with. It's a risk I take - if all content is stolen, and nobody buys anymore, I'm [starts with an f and ends with ucked].
BTW Linear Audio does have it's own thread here but that's more admin in nature - obviously I can't have a thread that shows all LA content.

What I find interesting is that people are willing to shell out $ 100 for a boutique cap on a simple "I did, and it's great, sound stage has never been as good"- type post, but have issues with getting a printed book for $ 28 that REALLY can advance them in understanding what it is they are doing. Very few appreciate the knowledge and insight people like Scott Wurcer and Dick Marsh put in their articles, and they will never appreciate and understand it from a scanned circuit diagram. One of the few riddles in life I still have to solve

jan didden
editor/publisher
Linear Audio

Last edited by jan.didden; 23rd May 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:27 PM   #108
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
I got the idea for Linear Audio in 2009 at the European Triode Festival...
or possibly at the post-event, where indeed too much drinking was going on.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:28 PM   #109
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

my mother always warned me about drinking too much!
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:35 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonidos View Post
my mother always warned me about drinking too much!
Not that it did help any

Hide this!Advertise here!