Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

Attached are things I have shown before. A distortion comparison of a carbon composition resistor compared to a metal film type of the same value, tolerance and wattage. With a THD measurement they are very close. With an IM measurement at 50Hz and 2 KHz they show differences. That is because the 50Hz is doing more cyclical heating of the resistors.

Thx for the test!
The metal film is in the second graph, right?
Can u measure a vishay z-foil as well?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You'll also find nonlinear resistor properties discussed in chapter 7 of Op Amp Applications and in Douglas Self's Small Signal Audio Design. It shouldn't be surprising to find that carbon comp and thick-film types are the least desirable in terms of linearity and excess noise.
The thin film thru hole parts are more linear than the surface mount versions.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I usually use a much higher wattage resistor in the feedback than would seem necessary to prevent thermal issues but also to reduce the effects associated with its voltage coeffecient.

I parallel my feedback resistors to deal with these issues - also works well. In a power amp I usually use 2 in parallel for the main feedback but on my new amp U used 3 0.6W devices.

There is a lot of discussion on the metla end caps. Are there any plots showing these actually distorting a dignal. I'd be very interested to know.

If you can't find 2N5457

2SK170GR will work, although as RNM points out these large-geometry devices have non-linear capacitance issues. 2SK170GR is available at Mouser, and the devices are DGS, not DSG as the 2N5457.

The prior FFT I posted was 1V out with Z=250R, the one below is Z=33R showing a comparison with the 2SK170GR and 2N5457

Attachments

• Marsh_JFET_Comparison.gif
    Marsh_JFET_Comparison.gif
    17 KB · Views: 1,043
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Using worst case load (33 Ohms) shows the 2nd and 3rd harmonics are in the neighborhood of -90 or under .01% that I said in the article you would get if you did not match transistor compliments. But with matching you can get well below -100. Thx for trying various devices for the DIY-er who might not find the ones I used.... however, I bought all transistors over the Internet for 10-15 cents each. It appears the topology is pretty immune to the specific transistor part..... another plus. -RNM

Last edited: